TRoybilt lawn tractor with courage 22 engine runs for a few minutes and then quits.

shaunswim

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / TRoybilt lawn tractor with courage 22 engine runs for a few minutes and then quits.
I have the above tractor with the Courage 22 engine. I picked it up from somebody that had done some cobble work to it.LOL It runs fine for a bit and then shuts shuts down. Shut key off and start it and dies again pretty much right away. Someone already removed the tip from the electronic fuel shut off so that is not the issue. Tried replacing fuel pump with no luck. I removed the wire from the oil switch and it made no difference. I haven't tried replacing the coils because it generally starts again after it shuts off. Sometimes it doesn't though. Plugs have been replaced. There is no water in the gas. Cleaned all of that. Any suggestions on things I am missing? Could it be a bad coil? Totally puzzled!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / TRoybilt lawn tractor with courage 22 engine runs for a few minutes and then quits.
The instant it stops toss a teaspoon of fuel down the carb.
If it fires right up and burns off the teaspoon of fuel then you have a fuel supply problem.
Either in the carb or the tank.
Debris builds up in the tank and forms a plug so the pump can not keep up with the engine.
A blocked tank vent will do the same thing , try mowing with the cap loose .

Get back & let us know what happened.

shaunswim

Forum Newbie
Threads
The instant it stops toss a teaspoon of fuel down the carb.
If it fires right up and burns off the teaspoon of fuel then you have a fuel supply problem.
Either in the carb or the tank.
Debris builds up in the tank and forms a plug so the pump can not keep up with the engine.
A blocked tank vent will do the same thing , try mowing with the cap loose .

Get back & let us know what happened.

I have tried that with a bit of ether and it will fire up. I have checked the hoses and the tank and can't seem to find an issue. I tried removing the gas cap and it still will quit. I agree it seems like a fuel issue, but just can't seem to find a cause.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK so it is definately fuel
Drive till it stops pull the fuel line off the pump at the tank side
remove the fuel cap and blow back up the fuel line.
If it then fires right up and runs another 20 minutes or so then it is clean the tank time.
If not then replace the fuel line for it's entire length from the tank all the way to the carb.
But try cleaning the carb and in particular the float needle & seat first.