Maintenance: Oil Change with K&N Oil Filter & Valvoline High Mileage Full Syn 10w30

OneFord

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Maintenance: Oil Change with K&N Oil Filter & Valvoline High Mileage Full Syn 10w30
Maintenance: Oil Change with K&N Oil Filter & Valvoline High Mileage Full Syn 10w30

Just figured I'd share this with anyone who would like to know. I did my first oil change on my John Deere x570. I wanted a good oil filter that was widely available. I found that the K&N HP-1002 filter fits the x570 just fine. It is a little longer than the john deere filter but it works. I also chose to use Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic 10w30. Everything works great. So if you want another oil filter choice the K&N HP-1002 fits!

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Maintenance: Oil Change with K&N Oil Filter & Valvoline High Mileage Full Syn 10w30
Re: Maintenance: Oil Change with K&N Oil Filter & Valvoline High Mileage Full Syn 10w

There is more to an oil filter being "suitable" than just having the correct flange diameter and thread pitch.

OneFord

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: Maintenance: Oil Change with K&N Oil Filter & Valvoline High Mileage Full Syn 10w

Well I’m not an oil filter guru but I do like the K&N High Performace oil filters.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads

OneFord,
At 75 I've been a mech for a long time and still doing power equipment servicing and repairs. There are a few things that I learned a long time ago.
a) While an engine, tractor or related product is still on warranty, I use OEM filters and the recommended lubricants.
b) When the warranty has expired, I still use OEM filters and recommended lubricants.
c) Synthetic engine oil has a very strong detergent quality which many times will prolong or prevent an engine from reaching full break-in.
d) I had a friend who was a mech at a JD dealer for 40 years before he passed away and we would get together periodically and swap stores. JD is very adamant about warranties and compliance with their requirements both during and after warranty expiration.
e) Some of us old mechs have tools to cut oil filters open and do this periodically. You would be surprised at what we see and find.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

I really wish the oil companies used the alternative description of DISPERSANT rather than detergent .
People just can not get the idea that a detergent cleans; out of their heads.
You can probably thank an advertising copywriter who failed science when he was 10 and never did any more with a nostril full of cocaine for that.
Synthetic oils have more surficants than standard oils so they are slipperier and wet the surface of whatever they are on more than standard oils which it can be difficult to bed in cast iron rings in a cast iron bore when using them.
All that the detergent does is make it easier for the filter to remove the gunk in the oil and for the filter to catch a lot finer particles of gunk.

Detergent has absolutely nothing to do with anything else it is nothing more than a trasnsport mechanism to hold gunk in suspension & allow it to be filtered out.
That is it nothing more

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads

After watching multiple cut open filter vids on YouTube, I either use Wix filters or OEM. For oil, on my Briggs pushmowers I use Briggs Sae 30.
And the Cub either Valvoline 10w30 or Kohler 10w30.
IMHO it mainly boils down to regular servicing.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

The problem with 99.99999999999 % of those monkeys they have no idea what they are looking at.
Find one who has done a diploma in materials engineering or has any other formal qualification that will allow them to understand what they are seeing.
You can not evaluate anything unless you know what each bit does & how it does it.
And most of them don't
A monkey can operate a can opener.