Older JD 36 inch commercial mower repower

Gtj811

Forum Newbie
Threads
Picked up an older John Deere 36 commercial walk behind mower to restore
Over the winter. Think it was made by Bunton. Cannot find model details in JD database.
Anyone know how to remove the brass pulley on Kawasaki motor? Going to put another Kawasaki mower off a Lesco on the JD. Also need to know how the speed lever engages the shaft to control speeds.
Speeds. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 922E9F3A-7A30-42E0-9C13-E8311BE43FD6.jpeg
    922E9F3A-7A30-42E0-9C13-E8311BE43FD6.jpeg
    39.3 KB · Views: 20
  • AC94B4D6-0CC5-4B04-80DC-AE970716ACDE.jpeg
    AC94B4D6-0CC5-4B04-80DC-AE970716ACDE.jpeg
    35.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 3AC1C1C1-CBFD-4517-8A75-3FE23CAB483E.jpeg
    3AC1C1C1-CBFD-4517-8A75-3FE23CAB483E.jpeg
    22.2 KB · Views: 16
  • AB6D305E-AD8F-45C1-BB0E-4406C687D1F7.jpeg
    AB6D305E-AD8F-45C1-BB0E-4406C687D1F7.jpeg
    26.8 KB · Views: 15

Gtj811

Forum Newbie
Threads
Would I get a better response posting to the Bunton/Bobcat forum for this old John Deere?

mjb8fj

Threads
Picked up an older John Deere 36 commercial walk behind mower to restore
Over the winter. Think it was made by Bunton. Cannot find model details in JD database.
Anyone know how to remove the brass pulley on Kawasaki motor? Going to put another Kawasaki mower off a Lesco on the JD. Also need to know how the speed lever engages the shaft to control speeds.
Speeds. Thanks in advance.

ahh, that is an older one. But don't get discourged by that, they are still very good machines. I don't remember if those were made by deere, or someone else made them for deere. They went from those to ones that were green frame, with a yellow deck which were great- but did have some electrical issues.
The pulley, well I can recommend spraying a lot of PB blaster on there, then let it sit for several days. If that isn't working, well got to do some more drastic measures. But let me know how to help if I can.

Gtj811

Forum Newbie
Threads
Made progress in attempting to remove engine. Tipped mower on side and was much easier to access. Got the majority of the spring loaded speed shaft removed. I cannot yet figure out how to remove the rest of the shaft. The pulley width is too wide to fit thru the mower mounting area. The brass base shaft and pulley for the blades and belt needs to be removed. I did not see any way to loosen the shaft. Any suggestions? Do not want to damage it. Thanks!

ahh, that is an older one. But don't get discourged by that, they are still very good machines. I don't remember if those were made by deere, or someone else made them for deere. They went from those to ones that were green frame, with a yellow deck which were great- but did have some electrical issues.
The pulley, well I can recommend spraying a lot of PB blaster on there, then let it sit for several days. If that isn't working, well got to do some more drastic measures. But let me know how to help if I can.

mjb8fj

Threads
Made progress in attempting to remove engine. Tipped mower on side and was much easier to access. Got the majority of the spring loaded speed shaft removed. I cannot yet figure out how to remove the rest of the shaft. The pulley width is too wide to fit thru the mower mounting area. The brass base shaft and pulley for the blades and belt needs to be removed. I did not see any way to loosen the shaft. Any suggestions? Do not want to damage it. Thanks!

to be quite open with you, not all of them can be saved. It helps to spray PB blaster in there/ on there, and let it soak, it won't work instantly. Being that yours is a older machine, really not sure if it will come off. There are several "tips" and techniques but I'm not saying they will work. Just suggestions, look and see if there is a allen screw holding it on, some pulleys have them, some do not. I would use that PB blaster and shoot it on top, on the sides, underneath..... basically covering that whole thing. You can use a puller, many auto parts stores have some in stock that you can borrow. Make sure you get a new bolt that goes in the shaft or two if you can- one to replace the original from the machine, and the other is to thread up in there before you use the puller- to give it something to press on without ruining your the shaft and bolt hole.
Another is to use a pickle fork or some call it a tie rod separator. You kind of hammer that in there and force the pulley off. I had some zero turns the other day, I used that method to get one off, another I used a wood wedge or triangle block and hammered that up in there, and used a pry bar on another side and the pulley popped off.
I have seen someone drill holes in the pulley and use a different puller and forced it off too.
Measure and take pictures of the pulley before you start, would be a suggestion. It is difficult to measure it while it is on, yes but get a general idea of what size it is, and which side it up and down with it.
Again not all can be saved, there have been a few that I have had to cut off, either with a torch, electric hacksaw/sawzall, or by air powered cut off tool. Let me know if that helps at all, or if I just went to rambling on and on here.

Gtj811

Forum Newbie
Threads

Thanks for the suggestions. Will attack the pulley on the replacement Kawasaki first and then work on the original engine and shaft next.

Gtj811

Forum Newbie
Threads
Response makes perfect sense. Someone nearby was selling the same model and he mentioned he had to replace the engine. I asked him how he got the pulleys off. He said there is no allen screw and both are pressed on. The bottom one had PB Blaster treatment and then a 3 law puller worked. The top one took lots of PB Blaster, heat, rubber mallet and a flat head screw driver. I will have to get more PB Blaster and have a go at it this weekend! Thanks for the replies.

to be quite open with you, not all of them can be saved. It helps to spray PB blaster in there/ on there, and let it soak, it won't work instantly. Being that yours is a older machine, really not sure if it will come off. There are several "tips" and techniques but I'm not saying they will work. Just suggestions, look and see if there is a allen screw holding it on, some pulleys have them, some do not. I would use that PB blaster and shoot it on top, on the sides, underneath..... basically covering that whole thing. You can use a puller, many auto parts stores have some in stock that you can borrow. Make sure you get a new bolt that goes in the shaft or two if you can- one to replace the original from the machine, and the other is to thread up in there before you use the puller- to give it something to press on without ruining your the shaft and bolt hole.
Another is to use a pickle fork or some call it a tie rod separator. You kind of hammer that in there and force the pulley off. I had some zero turns the other day, I used that method to get one off, another I used a wood wedge or triangle block and hammered that up in there, and used a pry bar on another side and the pulley popped off.
I have seen someone drill holes in the pulley and use a different puller and forced it off too.
Measure and take pictures of the pulley before you start, would be a suggestion. It is difficult to measure it while it is on, yes but get a general idea of what size it is, and which side it up and down with it.
Again not all can be saved, there have been a few that I have had to cut off, either with a torch, electric hacksaw/sawzall, or by air powered cut off tool. Let me know if that helps at all, or if I just went to rambling on and on here.

JoeM(GA)

Threads
Yes it was built by Bunton, in "jdparts.com", type in "pc2003" which is the parts catalog for it, then you can look up parts
FC774EAD-4B96-47F7-BABF-93B9CD7538EE.jpg

Gtj811

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks everyone. Ended up having a local small engine mechanic pull the old motor and pulley and put on a newer Kawasaki. He connected all the belts and it is back in business!

logert gogert

Threads
heh heh heh heh.......... "murica" .....