LTX1040 Automatic trans problem

LWood1960

Forum Newbie
Threads
New member, just for this site. It seems pretty sweet. Hope someone can help with my issue. It doesn't want to go into drive all the time. Then when I get it into drive it dont want to go into reverse. It's like its not shifting. The linkage is fine from what I can see, moves like it's supposed to. It appears to be shifting, but dont. While sitting on the mower I can play with it long enough I can get it to go into forward or reverse. Help please. :smile:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
With the engine off does the mower shift into the forward or reverse gears. may have to push the mower back and forth to confirm actually gear lock in. I am either thinking that the drive belt isn't disengaging properly or something is goofy with the shift control rod or attached linkage between the bottom if the shift rod over to the tranny.

LWood1960

Forum Newbie
Threads
With the engine off does the mower shift into the forward or reverse gears. may have to push the mower back and forth to confirm actually gear lock in. I am either thinking that the drive belt isn't disengaging properly or something is goofy with the shift control rod or attached linkage between the bottom if the shift rod over to the tranny.

If I play with it will go into gear just like when it's running. I thought I had heard some grinding noises a couple times while it was running and trying to get it in the forward gear. I am wondering it could be the "shift fork" being worn out. But it only has a couple hundred hours on it. ??

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
That transmission uses two bevel gears and a sliding collar to engage forward and reverse. There are issues with the bevel gears and collar wearing preventing proper engagement, Most common symptom is jumping or jerking under load, but normally only effects forward and not so much reverse since most of the time the mower is going forward.

My other thought was the drive belt isn't releasing all the way and that can cause hard shifting, which is the reason I wanted you to try it without the engine running. I was also thinking there is excessive play in the shift lever and the extra slop is causing hard shifting.