Tappets & Camshaft Shim, Oil Seal

Ckn087

Threads
I am posting my 3rd or 4th post about reassembling this motor (SV730-0011) but I ran into a few things that I just wasn't sure about. First off, all 4 tappets fell out when I removed the cam. My mistake for not paying attention. Manual says they need to be installed the exact way they went in? From what I'm seeing, they're all the exact same part number and size. Is this a big deal? My next question is that the manual states to put camshaft shim back on. I never remember seeing one come off. Are there some models that dont use them? Last thing that's bugging me is that I replaced the oil seal in the sump, but not the flywheel side seal. All I did was a crankshaft swap to another used one. Such a simple job... drive pulley was stuck and i tried EVERYTHING from an air hammer to the pto bolt while prying, to a little heat, and used several pullers. I soaked the whole pulley and shaft in vinegar and it ate the cast iron where the pto clutch rides. Oops... lesson learned. Thanks in advance.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I think the tappets have to do with the wear patterns, each one has a different pattern and it "mates" to the cam lobe.
I typed in your specific model # and it shows a shim being used. Be sure it ain't stuck to the cam or sump.