Scag won’t start

Dfb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a scag model smtc-48a serial a5405471 with a 19 HP Kawasaki engine. I just replaced the solenoid for the starter and now nothing happens when I turn the key. No clicking as the fuel solenoid was eliminated years ago. I did notice that the solenoid was hot to the touch. I disconnected the battery ground and left the trickle charger on over night as the battery voltage dropped to 11.59 volts. Next day I connected battery ground after checking wires to solenoid and the solenoid started getting hot. Did I get a bad solenoid???

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Possible. Did you get an OEM solenoid or a Chineseium from Scamazon?
I am not familiar with this unit.

Ckn087

Threads
11.59 isn't very good. You should normally have 12 or even over a little. I've saw a lot of batteries with 12.4 12.5. Even though it reads decent voltage, it can still be a junk battery. Harbor frieght sells a battery load tester for around $20. I once had a truck that done something similar. I bought a junker off amazon and one day my truck died. Tried starting and nothing. Then as I started walking to the hood, it started starting on it's own! It ran my starter for 2 mins and finally quit. What happened was, the amazon trash that I bought got hot and welded the relay to the 2 posts and and was feeding it 12v without me turning the key. I'd start with battery making sure it's good and go from there. Does your model have a 15 - 20amp fuse? These go bad often, not allowing power to the solenoid to power the starter. If all checks out, I'd say it is a bad solenoid. Could try crossing it over but be VERY careful as it shoots sparks everywhere. Do it outside away from any fuel. I always use a screwdriver with a plastic handle to keep from zapping myself. That's just an idea if you are comfortable doing it.

Ckn087

Threads
Actually if it got hot by just hooking it up, I can almost guarantee the solenoid is junk. Idk if it could possibly be something wrong in the ignition switch causing it to be shorting the battery to the solenoid with the key off.

Dfb

Forum Newbie
Threads
New battery installed then new solenoid. Went inside to look for owners manual. Battery started with 12.79 volts prior to installing new solenoid. Checked green wire to solenoid and was getting close to battery voltage when switch was on

Ckn087

Threads
Ok does that green wire have 12v with key on or off? Sounds like the circuit is stuck closed causing it to drain battery.

Dfb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Using a test light and 12 volt motorcycle battery (new) I hooked the negative lead to the solenoid housing. From there I touch the test light which is connected to the battery positive to the spade connection on the solenoid and the light lights up. I touch it to the large connections an one lights the light and the other doesn’t. The one that doesn’t light is higher than the one that does light. For some reason the large connection seems to be wired that way. I checked the old solenoid and it checks out the same way ????

Ckn087

Threads
Any way you can send a picture of that? Sorry im trying to picture it in my head but can't. There should be 0 volts between the main posts unless the small terminal has 12v to it. When that terminal has 12v it will spring a metal plate up and cause contact with the 2 main posts like bridging a gap. When you quit holding the key in start position, it will no longer supply 12v to small terminal and 2 posts will be separated again. Hope this makes sense.