2004 Metro 32" dies when engaging blades, or shifting into gear

DerickE

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 2004 Metro 32" dies when engaging blades, or shifting into gear
Hey all. Was working a lawn today and the strangest thing happened. The metro is just dying anytime you try and engage the blade or shift into a gear. Was working fine, so I can't explain it. I found a small hitch clip on the ground where I was working....could be coincidence, but maybe a rod fell out somewhere? It's definitely electrical/safety related because its instant when the engagement lever is pulled and lets go of the safety underneath. Starting to look through the exmark manuals now, but wanted to see if this was a common/well known issue. There's very little that seems to make these things go....I have to believe it's something stupid/easy.

2019-10-07 20_32_44-SUNLT REP QR CLIP f_HITCH ONLY - Chico Bike & Board.png

hitch clip I found....only it was circular, and it didnt have the safety wire.

DerickE

Forum Newbie
Threads
My concern is the opc switch. I don't have the over grip levers. I've looked at other photos online, might my unit have been, ahem... Modified to remove them? I can walk along side the mower, blades going and it never dies.

DerickE

Forum Newbie
Threads
My concern is the opc switch. I don't have the over grip levers. I've looked at other photos online, might my unit have been, ahem... Modified to remove them? I can walk along side the mower, blades going and it never dies.

Yup...it was the OPC swtich. Which made sense, it was the only switch that was tied into both the trans and the PTO.

Someone has jimmy rigged it, and whatever was holding it together, fell off. A few zipties later, and we're back in business. I guess, while i wondered about missing upper levers, I never really questioned it too much.