Engine won't turn over

03mike

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 42" Husqvarna with a Briggs and Stratton engine and it won't turn over. Battery is showing a good charge, 13 volts, and when I turn the key it just clicks. Seems like a safety device is keeping it from starting. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Clicking is sometimes a bad starter solenoid. Usually if its a safety switch you get nothing.
Give us the model number (usually under the seat) so we can help you better.
and sometimes the battery can be bad and show a good charge, it just doesnt have enough amperage.
try putting the key in start position and check the voltage then, see if drops.

jp1961

Threads
Hello,

If the battery is old I'd replace it.

Had the same problem on my wifes Camry,,,replaced the battery and it was good to go. Voltage seemed good but it must have had a bad cell (low amperage).

An auto parts store should be able to test it for you, I hate replacing parts that I don't need to.

Regards

Jeff

03mike

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's a husqvarna YTH2242T. Could I jump it from a car to check the battery?

jp1961

Threads
Hello,

You could. Sorry forgot to add an auto parts store should be able to check the starter motor if you care to remove it, this is what I did with the wife's Camry.

Sometimes with a bad starter, if you give it a rap with a wrench, it will work, signaling a bad motor winding. I doubt this test would detect a bad starter solenoid though.

Regards

Jeff

03mike

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is there a way to check the solenoid if it's not the battery?
Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You check the solenoid by pulling the trigger wire (s) off the bottom and manually make a connection with some wires.
If there is only 1 trigger wire then connect a good ground to the base of the solenoid then jump form the battery cable to the other terminal.
Try it both with & without the auxillary ground contact.

03mike

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, that gives me a couple of things to try this weekend when I get a chance to work on it.