JD X300 won't turnover sometimes

youda1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2007 JD X300 that runs well, but recently started to have intermittent problems starting. I've got a good battery and it runs ok once I get it started, but sometimes I turn the key and get nothing. I'm sitting in the seat, with brake fully depressed, PTO is off. I turn the key a few times with nothing (although lights work and hours display works), then it starts right up. Any suggestions?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
test ignition switch with test light or multimeter as well as solenoid & wiring & ground wires, make sure all connections are good & tight.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
JD put out an excellent service manual
IT will walk you through testing the cranking circuit.
Because it is a JD manual it will show you where all of the switches and plugs are and exactly how to test all of them with nothing more than a multimeter.
Then it will tell you how to interpret the the results and how to replace the parts which tested faulty.
All written in plain English with no jargon very easy to read & understand.
At the beginning of the section it also has a theory of operation section that tells you how it is supposed to work so at every step of the way you know exactly what you are doing.

When I bought the service run 6 years ago I thought it would be a doddle having played with vintage, veteran & classic motorcycles for over 40 years and a mower is really not much more than a motorcycle lying on its side.

Has I not bought the first JD manual I would still be here asking 20 questions a day
They are not cheap to purchase but the cost vanishes the very first time you do not take a mower to the workshop.
If nothing else it will save you literally hundreds of hours so head scratching, cursing, kicking and ripping the remains of your hair out.

Mower wiring is dead simple apart from Scag who fit interlock modules .
So once you understand the cranking circuit, and how each switch works and where they are it is a 10 minute job to either test or bypass each switch one at a time and you are back on the grass before you can finish the second beer.