SERVICING TUFF TORQUE TRANSAXLES

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
My son & I spent several hours the past two Saturdays servicing our Tuff Torque K664, KXH10. & K57 transaxles. We ordered the gear oil 5w-50 & filter from Tuff Torque. The K664 transaxle uses a cartridge filter up front at six o'clock position & a spin on filter inside right rear fender. Simplicity Conquest 4x4 tractor with power steering & 50 in. mower deck uses 5.4 liters of gear oil. Everything went well & glad we decided to perform maintenance as old gear oil & filters were original, 117 hrs. on tractor. The K57 transaxle is on my 2010 Simplicity Broadmoor & uses 2.2 liters of gear oil. This was first service with 422 hrs. on tractor. We used jack stands under both tractors for Safety. The K664 & KXH10 both have drain bolts as well as a resevoir & service plugs topside. The K57 does not have a drain plug so we just rotated it, wheels on unit, upside down after removing service plug & magnet. The K57 was caked in mud & dirt so hosed it down first thing before servicing. Drove both units around block minus decks & performed exceptionally well. Just thought I'd pass this information along to those of you who have wanted to change transaxle gear oil & clean aluminum housings but have hesitated to do so because manufacturer or dealer has stated non serviceable sealed unit.

mauigene1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good for ya, if everybody did that they would double the mileage on their units. I have a mower shop in Oregon and have been rebuilding and servicing Tuff-Torq hydros for years. I have had them come in where they barely move and i serviced them and put proper oil in and was able to grab a few more years before rebuild. Not hard at all.