Sealing sump to crankcase

Ckn087

Threads
Hey guys. Just got finished swapping a crankshaft in a Kohler SV730-0011 and I'm trying to decide on what sealant to use. And also what is good to clean the mating surface that leaves no residue? I've heard carb cleaner does leave a residue but what about rubbing alchohol? The only sealants I have are permatex ultra grey and form a #2 non hardening. I've used the form a on valve covers and it done a heck of a job but I've never used the ultra grey. This engine did not have a gasket on it just sealant but I wanna make 100% sure it seals before I put it all back together and on the frame.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Either alcohol or Brake parts cleaner. Patience works best. I use Permatex Ultra black gasket maker. Good for 500° degrees. You ought to be good with Ultra Grey.
Another thing I do is get all the cover bolts snug, like with a nut driver, wait 24 hours and then torque to spec.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I use rubbing alcohol to clean the surfaces. The Right Stuff sealant sells their dealers come in an aerosol can with an applicator tip and sets up in like 1 minute. Whatever sealant you use just be sure to follow the directions to a T. So if it says to let it skim over or set for a specific period of time than do what ever it says to do.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And although you mention that you have used them before, less is better than more.
Every time I open an engine where sealant has been used the person thought they were caulking the deck boards on the Endeavour .

Ckn087

Threads
Lol yeah I've saw that before too. When I took this one apart, it had oozed a good 1/8 inside. Maybe I'll go with an 1/8 to 3/16 bead?

Ckn087

Threads
Oh by the way, what's the best method for pressing this new oil seal into the sump? I got the old one out.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I usually use a socket that is the outside diameter of the seal, and lightly tap it in until flush.

Anielytra

Forum Newbie
Threads
Simson MSR Deck Caulk is a flexible, one-component, quick-setting boat sealant. It is used for sealing seams on teak decks and other materials. Characterized by high resistance to UV radiation water exposure.
Simson MSR Bedding Compound is a quick-setting, elastic, one-component adhesive sealant. Used as a substrate between fibreglass, aluminium, steel and wood deck and teak battens. It is characterized by good adhesion on unprimed substrates of various kinds. Has vibration- and sound-absorbing properties. More information about sealants https://sealwithease.com/concrete-sealer/.

Last edited: