my cub won't start

Merlin2014

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you are getting fuel out of the fuel line right in front of the carburetor and it will run when you spray fuel down the carb then the problem is in the carb. Have you checked to see if the fuel inlet valve and float are working correctly? That might be the next thing to check but whatever the problem is if it runs when you spray fuel down the carb then the problem is lack of fuel to the cylinders.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK Johnny,
We are at a point where the potential for going round & round in circles is high because none of us are on the same song sheet.
You are there with the lawnmower that don't go & we are here with information to help but the communications are breaking down.
So let's start with the basics.
On the left side frame rail will be a metal tag with the Cub Cadet full model number
It should start with 13 but in any case, take photo of it and post it so we can show you how to get the correct service manual for your mower , parts book & the same for the engine.
You should have a 16Hp Vanguard twin cylinder engine and on one of the rocker covers will be some numbers should start with a 29 or 30.
IT might also be on a metal tag riveted to the blower housing.
Again we need all the numbers so we can all have the same drawings in front of use either the parts book name or B &S part number or image part number so we all know what is going on.:thumbsup:
"Took the top off the carb " could mean removed the air cleaner base, or removed the upper carburettor body.:confused2:
"Cleaned the carb" can be anything from squirting a couple of shots of carb cleaners down the throat all the way to stripping every part, nut bolt & shaft off the carb and boiling them in an ultrasonic cleaner

And so we all know what you are trying to tell us
Cranks = revolves = spins
Fires = goes bang at least once then stops
Runs = goes bang bang bang for a short while at least.

When not used for some time fuel evaporates inside the carburettor & deposits a gunky varnish that can block off the small passages inside the carb
Heat causes the fuel in the fuel lines to expand and fill the float bowl again which evaporates leaving even more deposits inside the carb.
Water can condense inside the carb which starts corrosion and the corrosion products can block off the internal passages of the carb.

These deposits prevents fuel entering the engine and usually the complete carburettor needs to be removed to clean them out.
As you are not familiar with small engines keep your phone or camera handy & take a photograph every time you remove each item so you will know exactly where it goes back.
This is particularly important with springs & control rods where there are multiple locations for them to go into.

451johnny

Threads
I know its a 16hp v-twin engine the tractor model is AGS ( auto gear system ) 2160 but I will be reading again your messages and do as you said...thanks again

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I know its a 16hp v-twin engine the tractor model is AGS ( auto gear system ) 2160 but I will be reading again your messages and do as you said...thanks again

Thank you.
We never got the manual transmission down here so all of the 200 cubs I repair ( around 30 of them ) are hydros and known by the numbers only ie 2160 and that threw me from the start.
Some on has told you to toss some fuel ( 1 teaspoon full is more than enough ) down the carb then see if the engine starts, if it does then this confirms you have a fuel supply problem which is the most common reason for laid up mowers not starting.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I can't quote the OP's reply to my question "How did you clean the carb?"

But he replied that he 'took the top off the carb and sprayed some cleaner inside.'

To the OP: That is insufficient to actually clean a carburetor. You carburetor is still not clean. If you don't know how to clean one, take it to s shop that rebuilds carburetors. They'll clean it properly and replace any necessary parts and gaskets.

451johnny

Threads
OK Johnny,
We are at a point where the potential for going round & round in circles is high because none of us are on the same song sheet.
You are there with the lawnmower that don't go & we are here with information to help but the communications are breaking down.
So let's start with the basics.
On the left side frame rail will be a metal tag with the Cub Cadet full model number
It should start with 13 but in any case, take photo of it and post it so we can show you how to get the correct service manual for your mower , parts book & the same for the engine.
You should have a 16Hp Vanguard twin cylinder engine and on one of the rocker covers will be some numbers should start with a 29 or 30.
IT might also be on a metal tag riveted to the blower housing.
Again we need all the numbers so we can all have the same drawings in front of use either the parts book name or B &S part number or image part number so we all know what is going on.:thumbsup:
"Took the top off the carb " could mean removed the air cleaner base, or removed the upper carburettor body.:confused2:
"Cleaned the carb" can be anything from squirting a couple of shots of carb cleaners down the throat all the way to stripping every part, nut bolt & shaft off the carb and boiling them in an ultrasonic cleaner

And so we all know what you are trying to tell us
Cranks = revolves = spins
Fires = goes bang at least once then stops
Runs = goes bang bang bang for a short while at least.

When not used for some time fuel evaporates inside the carburettor & deposits a gunky varnish that can block off the small passages inside the carb
Heat causes the fuel in the fuel lines to expand and fill the float bowl again which evaporates leaving even more deposits inside the carb.
Water can condense inside the carb which starts corrosion and the corrosion products can block off the internal passages of the carb.

These deposits prevents fuel entering the engine and usually the complete carburettor needs to be removed to clean them out.
As you are not familiar with small engines keep your phone or camera handy & take a photograph every time you remove each item so you will know exactly where it goes back.
This is particularly important with springs & control rods where there are multiple locations for them to go into.

I will be looking out for those tags or plates with the tractors information tomorrow and posting it on my next message ..want to thank you for that valuable information it all makes great sense and I'll make sure to explain things a little more clearly making sure you understand what it is what I;m saying ..thanks again….johnny

451johnny

Threads
I can't quote the OP's reply to my question "How did you clean the carb?"

But he replied that he 'took the top off the carb and sprayed some cleaner inside.'

To the OP: That is insufficient to actually clean a carburetor. You carburetor is still not clean. If you don't know how to clean one, take it to s shop that rebuilds carburetors. They'll clean it properly and replace any necessary parts and gaskets.

i'll be removing the carb off the tractor tomorrow and taking it apart completely and make sure it get a good cleaning i'm no mechanic but I have cleaned carb before just gonna have to take pictures to make sure all go's back right...thanks

451johnny

Threads
If you are getting fuel out of the fuel line right in front of the carburetor and it will run when you spray fuel down the carb then the problem is in the carb. Have you checked to see if the fuel inlet valve and float are working correctly? That might be the next thing to check but whatever the problem is if it runs when you spray fuel down the carb then the problem is lack of fuel to the cylinders.

ok buddy understand thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
i'll be removing the carb off the tractor tomorrow and taking it apart completely and make sure it get a good cleaning i'm no mechanic but I have cleaned carb before just gonna have to take pictures to make sure all go's back right...thanks

Make sure you get plenty of the throttle / choke linkages.
These engines are designed to be operated with left or right hand controls so it is a bit complicated with levers everywhere.

451johnny

Threads
ok will do ..raining out will let you know in a few days how I made out ..can't thank you enough johnny