my cub won't start

451johnny

Threads
No, it's a 16 hp 2000 Series. Doubt if it has a solenoid; my 2140 doesn't.

yeah just found that out after I cleaned the carb...but it still won't start it just cranks over..??

451johnny

Threads
Have you cleaned carburetors before?

just did and you can tell someone else was there anyway I clean the carb and still won't start at a lost..the tractor ran before but I HAD IT LAYING AROUND DOING NOTHING FOR ABOUT 6 MONTHS

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
just did and you can tell someone else was there anyway I clean the carb and still won't start at a lost..the tractor ran before but I HAD IT LAYING AROUND DOING NOTHING FOR ABOUT 6 MONTHS

Tell us how you cleaned the carb.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
No, spark is needed to combust the fuel in the cylinder.
Spark is created by an ignition coil sitting by the flywheel.
Those coils can go bad. Spray some carb cleaner or gas down the plug hole reinstall the spark plug, put the wire back on and try to start it.
If it pops a time or 2 you have spark.

451johnny

Threads
Tell us how you cleaned the carb.

I removed the air filter and took the top of the carb and clean the parts with spray cleaner and air I didn't remove the entire carb off the tractor just the top …???

451johnny

Threads
Those coils can go bad. Spray some carb cleaner or gas down the plug hole reinstall the spark plug, put the wire back on and try to start it.

GEE...duh I always thought that if the engine turned once you turned the key it meant you had spark..?? well i'll be doing that tomorrow and that;s probably the problem I'm having ...thanks buddy I really appreciate it...johnny

451johnny

Threads

it starts and runs as long as I spray starter fluid on the carb doesn't that mean I have spark..?? johnny

dougand3

Threads
If the engine RUNS by itself (not relying on starter) with ether spray, yes - it has spark. You have a fuel delivery problem - carb. List your engine model #. Search the web for "engine model # carburetor"