craftsman 21hp OHV intake keeps filling up with fuel.

Bat57

Threads
  • / craftsman 21hp OHV intake keeps filling up with fuel.
Hey guys, have a problem I cant figure out and need help. Have a 21hp OHV (331877) engine that starts up and runs fine but with in a couple of minutes the intake will have a lot of gas in it and you can hear it boiling after you shut the engine off. I replaced the camshaft because of broken compression release valve. Adjusted the valves to .004, nothing loose in valve cover. thought carb was bad so put new carb kit in it, still same. Put another kit in it, no change. Cant find anything about this online. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Engine info ( 331877-2371-G5/ 111020ZD ). Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Even though you have installed a repair kit in the carb, the float valve isn't sealing for some reason. Could be a burr on the float valve seat or something else causing issues. Also something else to check is the vent that goes from the side of the carb intake to the bowl(normally the largest of the two or three holes on the side wall of the carb venturi). If the bowl vent isn't open it will cause a siphoning effect and act like a float valve not sealing. Make sure the float doesn't have gas in it because it will cause it to sink and not shut off the fuel when the bowl is full.

Bat57

Threads
Thank you, I will rework the carburetor and check everything you have suggested to check. If that does not work may just have to get another carb. I appreciate your help.

Bat57

Threads
Sorry it took so long to reply but it wasn't the needle valve or float. It was the seals in the aftermarket carb kit. They are not exact replacement seals size wise. Put B&S seal kit back in and flooding stopped.

Bat57

Threads
Even though you have installed a repair kit in the carb, the float valve isn't sealing for some reason. Could be a burr on the float valve seat or something else causing issues. Also something else to check is the vent that goes from the side of the carb intake to the bowl(normally the largest of the two or three holes on the side wall of the carb venturi). If the bowl vent isn't open it will cause a siphoning effect and act like a float valve not sealing. Make sure the float doesn't have gas in it because it will cause it to sink and not shut off the fuel when the bowl is full.
Thanks, it was the aftermarket seals in the kit. They are not exact size as original. Put B&S seal kit in and flooding stopped.

Bat57

Threads
I have a problem I am hoping with your knowledge you can help me with if you will. I have a B&S 20hp OHV engine (331777-2372-G5) that an elderly friend ask me to look at that wouldn't turn over. Did all the checks, new battery, key switch, solenoid, new starter, everything good but wouldn't turn over. So I opened crankcase and found broken compression relief valve in pieces. Everything else looked fine. Installed new camshaft and assembly pieces and put it back together. Put carb assembly back on and everything else back on. Started the engine and it ran at almost full throttle and could not control with throttle lever. So I did governor arm adjustment, pushed arm to full throttle loosened nut and turned shaft until it touched the governor, tightened nut and restarted engine. Same issue. Checked carb and governor linkage against a 21hp of same series. everything good. So took engine back apart and installed a new governor thinking that might be the problem. While carb was off this time I cleaned carb and made sure everything was opening and closing properly. Did static arm adjustment again and started engine. Same thing, engine runs at almost full throttle and it will rev up a little with throttle lever but that's it. I cant figure this out and it seems no one knows what might cause this but I hope you might have an idea. Thank you for your time.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Confirm that you are turning the governor arm the correct direction. If the shaft turns counterclockwise when moves from idle to fuel throttle then turn shaft counterclockwise and vise vs for clockwise. Also I have found a few engines that if you didn't hold the shaft in that position when tightening the nut they would move slightly from the governor weight/center spinner pushing down on it. An air leak on the intake side of the carb can also cause a similar issue.

Bat57

Threads
Confirm that you are turning the governor arm the correct direction. If the shaft turns counterclockwise when moves from idle to fuel throttle then turn shaft counterclockwise and vise vs for clockwise. Also I have found a few engines that if you didn't hold the shaft in that position when tightening the nut they would move slightly from the governor weight/center spinner pushing down on it. An air leak on the intake side of the carb can also cause a similar issue.
Thanks, I will double check those things.

Bat57

Threads
Thanks for your help, as it turned out the owner had messed with the adjustment screws on the Nikki carburetor and had them all messed up. I didn't realize until I decided to take the whole carb apart and check everything in it. Once I set the adjustment screws back to factory then the governor adjustment I made worked fine.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for your help, as it turned out the owner had messed with the adjustment screws on the Nikki carburetor and had them all messed up. I didn't realize until I decided to take the whole carb apart and check everything in it. Once I set the adjustment screws back to factory then the governor adjustment I made worked fine.
good to hear. And thanks for letting us know the resolution