Spring location and more

Quietcowboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey, first off I am not a mechanic so if I word something wrong please bear with me.

I thought I was getting a great deal but found out that it has been a little more of a hassle but working through the little things. I had a similar mower but that one is having transmission issues. This is why I bought this used machine.

I bought what I thought was a yard machine model 13AN682G129. This number came off the label under the seat. This says it is a 42" mower but when I went and bought new blades found that it's only a 38" deck. It starts and runs fine but when I took the deck off I didn't think to take a picture of how the deck sat and where everything is connected. I knew I had to take the belt off. Which I disconnected it from the front spindle. The deck looks similar to this diagram.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/f12A8PuLtFu1bZk47

After cleaning the whole deck I went to put the deck back on and a spring and what looks like a hanger fell off . I don't have a picture of those right off. I think it is the tension spring for when the deck is lowered the blades engage. Since I don't see a tension spindle on this deck. The question is how do I find out where these go when I have no idea what they are?

These are the pictures of the mower I am referring to. Am I correct in saying this mower is a MTD 38"? Or how else do I identify what it is?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zd4UqLzKYk5yLkyp9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/b8TEYNPjGyYZSyQv6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Z3NtraLGXJL7SYdv6

Please feel free to give me guidance or ask me more questions to help solve my issue.

Attachments

• 38in deck.JPG
    38in deck.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 8
  • FB_IMG_15701119003956035.jpg
    FB_IMG_15701119003956035.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 4
  • FB_IMG_15701119099117240.jpg
    FB_IMG_15701119099117240.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 8

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The model number that you posted does go to a mower with a 42 inch deck, but that model number doesn't go on that mower. Seems like the model number tag is on the bottom of the seat mounting plate, that plate has come off of another mower.

Would you mind posting the model type and code information from that tag next to the flywheel. Sometimes I can cross that back to a mower or series of mowers that could be a match.

Quietcowboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
The model number that you posted does go to a mower with a 42 inch deck, but that model number doesn't go on that mower. Seems like the model number tag is on the bottom of the seat mounting plate, that plate has come off of another mower.

Would you mind posting the model type and code information from that tag next to the flywheel. Sometimes I can cross that back to a mower or series of mowers that could be a match.

Yeah I feel that the seat to include the base has come off another machine.

I need a little more direction on the tag next to the flywheel. Would this be on the side of the engine or underneath?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
There is a metal tag on the top of the blower housing as seen in one of your pictures, as you look straight down from the top about an inch or two from the edge of the screen that will actually say model type and code above a series of numbers and letters. I need the model and type to determine which engine it is and the code to narrow down year of manufacturer of the mower.

it is the tag in your third thumbnail picture between the edge of the metal screen on the flywheel and the powerbuilt 12 hp sticker.

Quietcowboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
ok so i see the tag. I thought that would be for just the motor.

it says.
model 284707 type 0147 01 code 9412034A

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The spring will either go on the rectangular stabilizer plate at the back or to a hole in the deck.
get a strong torch and look for the polished spot or hole that has a spring wear cut in it.

I think MTD changed the position of it on every model just to make things impossible for repair technicians.
Some times it goes in a hole in the side of the plate, some times it goes on the pin that connects the plate to the deck and some times it goes into one of the 1/2 dozen holes in the back of the deck.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
models 134Y450F129 and 134Y470F336 are possible matches for your mower.

Quietcowboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your input and guidance. I see a place on the deck that the spring may connect to but don't see where I am suppose to connect he other end. I forgot to mention that this is what came off with the spring.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MMjcpcWe6NLttcn36

Doesn't look like it straightened out from being pulled on. Wasn't sure if it wraps around something to help hold the spring. Any ideas?

models 134Y450F129 and 134Y470F336 are possible matches for your mower.
Is this what you found from the model number I gave you that was on the motor?

Attachments

• IMG_20191004_082425.jpg
    IMG_20191004_082425.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is what I found by doing some digging on the MTD Dealer site. On some of their models they list what engine was used on what model. The code part of the model number gave me a basic starting point for year.

The hook that found is what the springs connects to. the short slightly off straight part is where the spring connects the longer more 180 degree bent end hooks over the top of the axle housing in the grooved area on the right side of the axle.

Quietcowboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
That is what I found by doing some digging on the MTD Dealer site. On some of their models they list what engine was used on what model. The code part of the model number gave me a basic starting point for year.

The hook that found is what the springs connects to. the short slightly off straight part is where the spring connects the longer more 180 degree bent end hooks over the top of the axle housing in the grooved area on the right side of the axle.

Thanks for doing that search. I had a feeling that the hook went around something but wanted to check. Just found it odd that it didn't have a stop for where the spring connects.

I was able to connect the spring to the hook onto the axle. The belt is tight when deck is lowered.

Next thing I just noticed is that when I lower the deck the level seems loose like it doesn't have any more tension on it. There are 6 slots the top most is the disengaged fully. Then it seems to move down and tighten little by little for the first and second. Then on the third slot it seems like it only changes very little and the last two slots it doesn't change at all. Is there something I should look at?

Last edited: