Honda seems hydrolocked

johnny767

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 3 year old HRR21610VKC which suddenly has a hard to pull start cord. It fired up and then ran pretty good other than maybe a little rich. I shut it down and then it started with an easy pull but ran poorly for a few seconds before cleaning out and rev up ok. Then I shut it off again and it was hard to pull again after a short break. I pulled the spark plug assuming gas was somehow hydrolocking the piston but it seemed ok but with a very sooty plug. Not sure where to look next, Thx in advance!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Most likely valves out of adjustment
Does it Have The gcv160? Or 190? Overhead cam engine?
They are notorious for getting a hairline cracks in the exhaust rocker arm making it hard to pull and run rough.

johnny767

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the quick reply! It's not in front of me but I'm pretty sure it's the 190. I'll pull the valve cover off and see what I find. I assume the exhaust rocker crack you speak of will be fairly easy to locate??
Does this look correct for valve clearance?
Intake: .006
Exhaust: .008

johnny767

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok so it's a GCV160 and I just adjusted the valves. Everything looked good other than they were out a little. It doesn't lock up now but it still runs like crap. Like auto choke is on when it shouldn't be.. Hmm

johnny767

Forum Newbie
Threads
is it surging?

No, it was just very slow to rev up at startup. Even had a small backfire. I'm thinking this may have be to do with the engine not being fully warmed up and then shut down so then the choke was in the wrong position. I checked it as per the sticky and it seemed ok. Later someone cut the lawn with it and reported it ran alright. Maybe I should change that sparkplug. I cleaned it but it looked pretty fouled before.