Repairs Honda HRX217 - Can't diagnose issue - Noise

moms-helper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to help my mom out with diagnosing an issue. My dad used to do all the maintenance on the family lawnmower (a Honda HRX217), but recently passed away leaving the maintenance/repairs up to my mom. Since then the lawnmower has had an ongoing issue that our neighbours can't seem to fix.

Operationally the lawn mower seems fine, but there is a noise during the start up and idle. I've included a video of the sound at idle. From what I've been told the sparks plugs have been replaced and the oil changed. I recall the oil being changed about 4 months ago, but when I checked it today it looked fairly dirty. So I'm not sure if that's a cause or related to the issue or if that normal after 4 months.

I can't seem to find the same noise in any other videos so any insight into what the issue might be would be much appreciated. At this point my mom is ready to toss it.

jp1961

Threads
Hello,

Sorry to hear about your dad.

Startup and idle seem normal, the whine seems to occur when the blade is engaged, so I suspect something is wrong with the Blade Brake Clutch (BBC) system.

Is the blade(s) tight?

It doesn't seem that old, is it still under warranty?

Regards

Jeff

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I agree with the BBC issue. It is something that is related to the blade spinning which would probably rule out the bearings in the clutching system. Most likely something rubbing when the blade turns.

Briantii

Threads
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to help my mom out with diagnosing an issue. My dad used to do all the maintenance on the family lawnmower (a Honda HRX217), but recently passed away leaving the maintenance/repairs up to my mom. Since then the lawnmower has had an ongoing issue that our neighbours can't seem to fix.

Operationally the lawn mower seems fine, but there is a noise during the start up and idle. I've included a video of the sound at idle. From what I've been told the sparks plugs have been replaced and the oil changed. I recall the oil being changed about 4 months ago, but when I checked it today it looked fairly dirty. So I'm not sure if that's a cause or related to the issue or if that normal after 4 months.

I can't seem to find the same noise in any other videos so any insight into what the issue might be would be much appreciated. At this point my mom is ready to toss it.

To me I only hear the whine when the blade disengages not while it’s engaged. It sure would like a bad bearing to me. The bearings for the bbc can be replaced but they are pressed in at least on my hrr. You can diy with a vice a torch. See the below video (not mine, just one I found) which I think explains it and replacement pretty well.

moms-helper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,

Thanks for your help. I should've mentioned the video goes from blades engaged for a couple seconds and then I release the levers so the blades are not engaged. The initial idle when I start-up doesn't sound too terrible, but after I engage the blades and go back to idle that's when the sound is really obvious.

moms-helper

Forum Newbie
Threads
That video sounds exactly like the issue.

Follow-up question. From the video, it seems like I can still mow the lawn, I will just do more damage to the bearing that needs to be replaced anyway. Is this correct? My mom's grass is quite long and it's about the rain so I'm hoping to get one more mow in before getting it fixed.

Briantii

Threads
That video sounds exactly like the issue.

Follow-up question. From the video, it seems like I can still mow the lawn, I will just do more damage to the bearing that needs to be replaced anyway. Is this correct? My mom's grass is quite long and it's about the rain so I'm hoping to get one more mow in before getting it fixed.

Assuming that you only have the one bearing going bad (while the blade is disengaged) then yes, it's not spinning when the blade is engaged so it would have no bearing on it when mowing. (pun intended :smile: ) On mine at least there is another bearing up there that I believe spins all the time. I replaced both bearings on mine as both of them were worn out but not yet noisy. I did use a little heat to make it go a little easier.

It's really not that hard to replace as long as you have a vice or press.

HurstGN

Threads
Also be prepared for a broken spring in that clutch as well. That can cause this kind of noise as well.