24hp intek won't start

Threads
My 24hp intek died and would not restart. I found it had an ejected valve guide and a bent pushrod in intake on the #1 head, and it had dropped a pushrod on the intake on the #2 head. I figured that was the problem. :)
So I installed a new #1 head, installed all the pushrods and they are working fine. But the engine still will not start. I had also installed new plugs, new fuel filter and hoses, new fuel pump, new fuel solenoid, and rebuilt the carburetor. Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A sudden stop can shear the timing key in the flywheel
How is yours ?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
see if your getting spark, pour a bit of gas down 1 plug hole, turn the key, if it fires, more than likely that cylinder has spark. repeat the process on cyl. #2
then pour some gas or spray parts cleaner down the carburetor throat, if it fires, valve timing should be okay , and most likely a fuel issue.

Threads
Ok, I put gas in the #1 cylinder and she fired one "pow". tried #2 and she fired up and ran, but was smoking, so I shut it down. Not sure what that's about, but I got it to run! My first time replacing a head on a mower engine.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
So the head you replaced, was just the bare head with valve guides, or fully assembled with valves and springs?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't worry about the smoking for now as it just can be oil that got in there when you were working on the mower, particularly if you tipped the engine.
Now do the second bit of what Scrubby asked for and try some fuel down the carb throat.
If that works then check the fuel solenoid is working and drain the float bowl in case it is full of oil or water.

Threads
Don't worry about the smoking for now as it just can be oil that got in there when you were working on the mower, particularly if you tipped the engine.
Now do the second bit of what Scrubby asked for and try some fuel down the carb throat.
If that works then check the fuel solenoid is working and drain the float bowl in case it is full of oil or water.

It cranks and runs now, but runs really rough and still smokes. Engine won't accelerate when i move the throttle.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So now we work out if it fuel. valves or electrical.
Remove both of the kill wires from the coils
If it runs fine without the wires connected then there is a problem with the wiring.
Some of the Twins have a diode in the kill wire so one coil can not "talk" to the other.

Run the mower for a good 20 minutes then let it go dead cold and recheck the valve lash now that the engine has heated up a few times.

Pull the breather off and see how hard it is puffing
Pull the dip stick off immediately the engine stops and check for smoke

Let us know how you go