Craftsman drive pulley

mikehouse

Threads
Hey all,sad news..my boy is down.Ordered a drive pulley for my S-P Craftsman 22" walk behind mower,
TWICE.Both times i got a refund back to my account from searsparts direct.com.We all know Sears is about to go under (jsmh),but i didn't think they'd be out of parts so soon.
The part was about $12 and change,PLUS shipping and taxes.It came to about $22+,AND it'd be a week and a half getting to me.
Every call i did went to someone in the Phillipines.No ****!!! So my dilemma is i can't find this part on Amazon OR Ebay.Can i get some help?
I hate seeing my boy down like this.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
supply us with the part number or mower model # so we can help you.
and what makes you think its the drive pulley, symptoms of the problem?

mikehouse

Threads
Mower model # is 917.377131.Part # 137052.Symptom:Upon cranking,makes a screaming sound and wheels won't turn when engaged.Gave a THOROUGH cleaning u derneath,wheels,tranny area.All debris cleared.Oil in the engine.Only thing i can think of.Had beeb running pretty good til then.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Have you ran it with the belt cover off, just to be sure it's not internal in the gearbox. Or the belt, because of I remember right the pulley is splined to the gearbox with a nut clamping it, and inside the gearbox the shaft rides in a ball bearing to support it.

According to parts tree and Jack's small engines this part is obsolete.
Then it cross referenced me too Husqvarna 532194126 , which is also obsolete. So, I'm not sure.

mikehouse

Threads
1st thing i did was to uncover the belt area.Can't start it sounding like that,but did give it a second to start and quickly stopped as soon as you hear the noise and no wheel movement.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Really wish you did not have 2 threads running about this as it gets confusing.

Usually i can get by with a near enough match from the aftermarket pulleys from Stens.
You ignore the hole because that can be bushed.
Not that long ago my other supplier sold the pulleys plain and you just reused the old bush.
So all you are really worried about is the outer diameter & the inner diameter.
Everything else can be worked around.
So go the the Stens on line catalogue and search IDler Pulley ( Assuming it is an idler & not a drive pulley)
Other than that a bearing shop will generally keep a reasonable stock of pulleys , till Amazon forces all them to close down as well.

dougand3

Threads
The pulley is really simple - a nut welded on a bare pulley. Unless it's cracked or the weld cracked - can't see it causing trouble.
There should be a tensioner pulley that contacts the belt, making it tight, when you engage self propel lever. It may be making noise.
Or the internal gears of transmission may be failing.
Or all lube is gone from tranny. I have prolonged life of this type of tranny by adding axle grease around internal gears. You could use 90wt gear oil if you can seal the tranny housing well.
Or noise comes from axle to wheel connection.
You need to localize noise.