Differences between brands

pete c

Threads
In the market for a rider with bagger (lotta oak trees!).

I could go write a check for a new one, but I am terminally cheap.

Don't much care about fancy features. Would prefer to stay away from hydro-drive as it seems to be a source of expensive repairs. Might want to add a plow/blower at some point, but not necessary. I want something that is functional, serviceable and as bulletproof as possible.

My question is what is the difference between brands?

My experience over the last 20 years or so with things in general is that established brands have a habit of building cheap junk, knowing they can ride their reputation for years and make big $$$$$.

Is this the case in the mower world as well? The higher end brands do still make high end stuff, but they have also gotten into the low end big box market and the only difference between them and the others is the stickers/paint.

From looking at CL ads, I get the impression that craftsman is a good buy on the used market. I attribute this to the fact that craftsman is/was affiliated with Sears,and everyone knows that Sears is swirling the drain. I have seen ads for very clean looking craftsmans with baggers listed for 300-400 bucks. A similar JD might be listed at 800.

Would it be worth my while to spend a little more for higher end used stuff? I saw a JD345 (I think) for 1800. It had power EVERYTHING!!!! Might be nice if you live on your mower. To me it sounds like an awful lot of things to break.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Like most things now days Joe Public can no longer make an informed decision based on quality so they buy solely on price.
Thus if you want to stay in business then you either retreat into a niche market for quality good or make rubbish for the bulk of the population who still believe "the Magic Pudding" is a text book & not a childrens fiction.
So all of the major brands make a trash mower at the lowest price throw away price range and better quality stuff for the 5% of the population that actually know how to assess quality & durability.

Because of the above most residential grade mowers have a limited life span and the subtle differences, like captive bolts, are only appreciated by those who get under & fix them.
Depending upon your land size & budget you would better off with a used commercial providing you are willing to accept that it is well used.
Ferris, Walkers are really good leaf collectors and a rear discharge anything will do a better job than a side discharge anything.

Good luck.
When you see something that takes your fancy the ask about it.
You will get much more meaning full replies if you are specific otherwise it ends up being Ford vs GM type meaningless arguement.