Tecumseh H60

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Installed new points and condenser, now I need help timing the ignition
I have The piston at 080 before TDC, at this point, the points have the 020 gap between them, I saw a guy use a test light going on and off for the firing of the points, he said that right when the light goes off is where you want to set it. I do not have a test light but I do have a multimeter with the "beeeeeep" ;) setting, so I'm using it as a substitute, but nowhere in the adjustment of the piece do I get a beep no beep.

This is my first time ever working on a points and condenser engine, so any other ways to do it will be very appreciated. I have watched multiple videos even one that tecumseh made, and.. Well..:confused2:

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm thinking that after the intake valve closes, and the piston is coming up to top dead center the points should be closed, charging the system, then at the right point (.080 before?) the points start to open, breaking the circuit, field collapses and fires the plug. Are you turning the crankshaft in the right direction?

Russ2251

Threads
Unless stator was moved, timing should not be necessary.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Well, in the Tecumseh video I watched they said that you should re time it if the points are replaced,
I am turning it in the correct direction. Clockwise from flywheel side, CCW from pto.
One thing I just noticed, the plastic points "pawl" that contacts the lobe on the crank, there is always about a 004 thou. Gap, I just tested it with a 004 feeler and the whole time the crank spins, the lobe never comes into contact with the points.Even when the high side comes around.
I did use after Market Oregon brand. Not Tecumseh.

Russ2251

Threads
That "pawl" needs to make contact.
Loosen screw (just enough to move) that holds points in place and carefully moving points until contact is made.
As you rotate crankshaft notice that points are open (or should be open) most of the time. Adjustment should be made when points are at
their maximum open position or top of cam lobe.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I've tried adjusting and moving the points and can not get the plastic pawl to make contact with the ignition lobe. Wondering if I should try OEM tecumseh points..

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
This is getting on my nerves, whenever I set the points gap, tighten the screw down, that's when the gap appears, it goes from touching the lobe( high side) to about a 004" gap when I tightened the screw down .