52" Raptor deck removal?

Filer

Threads
I would appreciate some instructions on the best way to remove the deck on my 52" Hustler Raptor.

Thanks.

Mower King

Threads
Why are you wanting to remove the deck? We replace belts, spindles, pulleys, sharpen blades....all without removing the deck!

Filer

Threads
My deck bent directly below one of the idler pulleys and it's causing the pulley to sit canted, and consequently, it's throwing the belt. I can't get to it to remove the bend without removing the deck.

Mower King

Threads
Yes, those spindles do set down in a hole (so to speak)... you might consider this, It would depend on how much the deck is bent but...I would just take the spindle out and try to straighten the deck as much as you can, then shim it level to the other blades.

Filer

Threads
It's not one of the spindles. It's the idler pulley that's directly below your right leg when you're sitting on the mower. It more or less is mounted on a 1" diameter peg which has a bearing affixed to it to allow rotation of the pulley. The belt broke and got entangled with the pulley,..which pushed it to the side and dimpled the deck directly below it. I need to remove the deck to properly remove the dimple.

Mower King

Threads
Ok...I repaired that exact spot you're talking about a couple weeks ago on a mower. I took the pulley off, lowered the deck all the way and straightened the deck slowly with a fairly large hammer. Then I put a large washer on the carriage bolt (bottom side of deck) before I put it back together to spread the load of that bolt / pulley so it wouldn't bend again (those decks are crazy thin). It's out there still mowing somewhere today!

Filer

Threads
If anyone knows the quick way to remove a 52" Hustler Raptor deck, I'm still interested in hearing it.

Mower King

Threads
Take the bolts out that hold it on............

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
put a pair of 2 x 4's under the deck then lower it onto them this way there is no weight on the fasteners.
Once undone grab one side and slide it out using the 2 x 4's as rails.
Helps if they are fairly long.
OR without the deck you can pick up the front of the mower & poll it back if there are two people

Didn't answer earlier cause I am yet to pull the deck off a Hustler so could not give you a "Pull the pin at X and undo the bolt at Y description "
Just remember after the fasteners are undone move the lift lever to full height so the lift arms, chains, wires , whatever are out of the way.
Installation is the same

If you have some lengths of hollow tube 2" or better use them just so long as what you slide it on is smooth cause the decks ain't light and watch your fingers.

The Chairman

Threads
  • lower deck to the ground
    • I put in two stakes behind the deck to keep it from moving
  • Remove pulley belt
    • Easiest from the left spindle
  • Unclip all six pins holding the supports to the deck
    • You may have to lift up on the deck a bit to get them out
  • Back up and over the deck
  • Repair as needed
  • To reassemble, simply reverse the process
  • Check for level