18HP Intek Knock From Rod?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Also could be a buildup of carbon in the combustion chamber. And the piston is hitting some carbon.

darrinster

Threads
Also could be a buildup of carbon in the combustion chamber. And the piston is hitting some carbon.

When I turn the engine by hand back and forth you can hear a clatter noise. Though on another newer intek with way less hours I don't hear that noise.

Also the knocking intek is puffing out some black smoke and the spark plug had oil on it. Bad rings?

Are these engine's worth rebuilding to sell?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Indicates it could be a blown head gasket,
Pull the head and look.

If it has a large buildup of carbon, scrape it off, and put it back together and start it with the old gasket for just a little. See if it gets any quieter.

Pulling the head is not hard to do.

darrinster

Threads
Indicates it could be a blown head gasket,
Pull the head and look.

If it has a large buildup of carbon, scrape it off, and put it back together and start it with the old gasket for just a little. See if it gets any quieter.

Pulling the head is not hard to do.

Yea I've replaced lots of head gaskets on these. Just seems like I'm getting more inteks lately that are knocking. I assume it's the rod needing replaced?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
It could be that all of the oil from the bad head gasket has cooked a bunch of carbon, taking the head off can tell you. If after you pull the head off, you can check for a bad rod, and give you a better idea what you are looking at.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Yea I've replaced lots of head gaskets on these. Just seems like I'm getting more inteks lately that are knocking. I assume it's the rod needing replaced?

In my experience a knock in these engines is most likely the counter balance system. Apparently as a mechanic you should know to post the engine model number. IF this is a 31 series, note that they made a drastic change in counter balance and sump in later models. IF it is the counter balance then no, not practical to rebuild.

Walt Conner

darrinster

Threads
In my experience a knock in these engines is most likely the counter balance system. Apparently as a mechanic you should know to post the engine model number. IF this is a 31 series, note that they made a drastic change in counter balance and sump in later models. IF it is the counter balance then no, not practical to rebuild.

Walt Conner

Yea it's a 31 series. I had the head off and pushed on the piston but didn't feel any play. So I assume it's the counter balance. I've acquired quite a few knocking engines this year. I've been swapping over older briggs and kohler commands.

I wonder if Briggs will bring out a new single engine anytime soon?