Tecumseh 3.5 HP Carb change?

TheBishop

Threads
About three years ago I gave my Brother-in-law my 23 year old Tecumseh 3.5HP Pressure Washer after I picked up a bigger one with a Honda engine.
Yesterday he offered it back to me after he bought a new pressure washer, so I took it. He said the old one was leaking fuel and he could not fix it.
The old original carb is corroded now and I need to replace it. The old carb has a "Purge Bulb" on it and the new carb for the H35 engine has a choke lever instead.

Is it possible to use the choke lever carb when the engine was designed for a purge bulb? It may sound simple to most but I've always tried to maintain the same as original.

TheBishop

Threads
I forgot to say,

When I gave it to him it was running fine and would start on the third pull every time.

dougand3

Threads
Should be fine using choke on cold starts.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Can you post the spec number for the Tecumseh engine. I can’t seem to find an H35 with a primer bulb.

TheBishop

Threads
HP35 45691X

It does have a black primer bulb on the carb and it came that way. I've always pressed it 5 times and it always started on the 4th pull until now.

It was running when I gave it away but I kept fuel Stabil in all my gas tanks ahead of time. He said it started leaking fuel so he offered it back. I don't know if it even runs anymore. He may have burned up the engine or froze up the pump by not having water hose pressure connected when it was started.

I've had it about 27 years. It was only 1500 psi. but the 3.5hp Tecumseh engine was a strong little engine and the pump was always strong too. It has a pull out tip for spraying or push back tip for a stream.

We bought it to pressure wash the driveway on a house we bought in Atlanta before we retired. It was inexpensive and I hoped it would last long enough to clean the driveway, but it lasted 26 years longer than I expected.

On the concrete driveway next to the side door was a old wooden barrel used as a planter. I trashed it but over the years it left a rusty ring on the concrete. The little pressure washer not only took out the rusty ring, it removed an inch of the cement too.

Yep, it came with a primer bulb on the carb.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It took some digging, but your H35-45691X Tecumseh engine used carb number 632589. This carb is no longer available and is superseded to part number 632615. As you stated the original carb had a primer bulb, and the superseded carb has a choke plate. If you received the 632615 carb, you should have no problems.

TheBishop

Threads
thanks so much for your input. I ordered a 632615 today.

the carb I was going to buy was not a 632615, but it said it fits the H35 engine.

It should be here Wednesday.

TheBishop

Threads
The Carb came in today and fit perfectly and the little Tecumseh engine sprang to life on the 5th pull. I already had the water hose connected to the pump and the engine was running great again. Thanks so much for the help with the correct carb number.

But when I pull the handle of the sprayer the pump now surges high and low, high and low again and again. With the engine running strong the pressure at the wand comes and goes.

It was running fine when I gave it away, now it looks like the person I gave it to ruined the pump too.

The engines does not slow down just the pump sprays high pressure for ten seconds and then the pressure drops to house pressure. Then the pump sprays high pressure for 10 seconds again, on and on.

Has anyone has a pump that did this?

dougand3

Threads
I just re-powered a pressure washer. It had be idle for 3 years. Pump acted erratic for ~ 5 mins, then smoothed out. I'm guessing tiny debris/minerals in there and they worked on through. They do make "pump saver" lube spray that you spray in when you store the pw. But it's more to keep gaskets pliable.

TheBishop

Threads
It Works!!!

After nearly taking everything apart and cleaning it I found the pumps pressure problem. The head of the wand was stopped up.
One by one, eliminating the parts as clean and free flowing I took the wand apart as much as I could. This old Tecumseh pressure washer came with a big pressure adjuster on the end. You pull back for low pressure and push forward for light pressure. You turn the head right or left for stream or fan spray.
I like the head better than the non-adjustable Honda pressure wand's head.

I took a piece of stainless steel wire and poked around the hole where the water comes out. At first I could see a tiny light looking up the wand toward a bright light. After probing for several minutes I looked again and I could see a bit larger hole and more light thru the wand.
I put everything back together and hooked up the water line. I got all the trapped air out of the lines and the little Tecumseh engine with the new carb installed started on the 4th pull.
I pulled the trigger on the now clean wand and I had great water pressure again like it did when it was new 24 years ago.

Never give up, and thanks to all who helped on this post. Its easy when you know you have people like those here to cover your back.