Inline Fuel Filter Wisdom

Threads
Folks,
I'm looking to hear your personal experience/wisdom re: adding a small inline gas filter on F340 motor LB's.
Hopefully there are no issues filtering out the oil as someone once warned me.:laughing:
So, what works and what doesn't work?
Thanks,
Rocky:smile:

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had a string trimmer that had a bronze fuel filter. You'd think if anything was going to 'filter out the oil,' that would have done it. It didn't; it was designed that way.

If the oil could be filtered out, seems to me like it would settle out of suspension in storage.

I think it would be like trying to filter sugar out of water. Once it's in, it's in.

Threads
Yeah, now that oil-filtering is dismissed as urban legend, what about filter types, makes, size, interference w/other motor parts, etc?
Everybody, chime on in.
Rocky

jp1961

Threads
Hi Rocky,

I believe the early Lawn-Boys had a screen filter at the bottom of the tank/fuel shutoff valve.

Assuming the screen is still in tack, adding an inline fuel fuel filter would be redundant, but the added protection of another filter wouldn't hurt either.

The oil is in a suspension in the gas mixture, so filtering out the oil would be a myth IMO. Way back in high school, when I wasn't admiring the girls in chemistry class with their newly grown set of knockers, I sort of paid attention to the teacher,,,LOL.

Regards

Jeff

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
FWIW,
Victa who were at one time a very large maker of 2 stroke lawnmowers and exported them world wide have a fuel filter fitted into the fuel taps
Over the tears they have used a fine vylon mesh, a compressed felt then finally a sintered bronze, so no worries about removing the oil .
Modern 2 stroke oils dissolve into the fuel where as decades ago when you had to shake the can every time you refilled the oil was an emullsion that could be filtered out but you need a very fine filter and pressure to do it.

Because Victa fitted a filter, all of the other engines had to do the same and I am yet to come across one with a filter clogged by oil

In fact most clog with water or dirt, which is why Victa went to sintered bronze.

If you still want to add a filter, use a clear cared sintered bronze filter.
Most of these can simply be back flushed to clean them and with a clear housing you can see accumulations of water.

AnthemBassMan

Threads
I added a generic red Briggs type inline filter to my 1973 Lawn Boy 7262 with the D-600 engine a year ago. Never had an issue yet with it filtering out the oil. Bertsmobile1 has a great point. If the filters in weed eaters and chainsaws don’t filter out the oil, then an inline filter that just uses a piece of mesh or screen will do no harm.

L8R,
Matt