BS 591378 carburetor

kelazier

Threads
Take the breather tube off and see if the fuel is coming out the breather in which case your crankcase is full of fuel

Okay, the fuel is coming from the breather tube; I assume my next steps are to drain the crankcase and refill with oil. However, what's to prevent the gas from refilling again? Where/how would the gas have entered in the first instance?

I appreciate your advice.

dougand3

Threads
1. Check oil level with dipstick - is it thin and 1+ qt overfull?
2. Drain gas laden oil and fill to proper level
3. If old carb had needle/seat or float dysfunction, new carb will prevent gas from filling crankcase
4. A fuel shutoff valve is a really good addition here.

kelazier

Threads
thanks for response...this is a portable power unit and has a fuel shut off valve; nevertheless, inordinate amounts of fuel spurt from the engine even though the valve is in shut off position (I start it with a shot of ether). I let the unit run until it stalls and I should think the gas is used up (with the valve shut off) and I amazed at the amount of fuel that remains and spurts out of the tube. It filled a 16 oz jar.

I will be draining the unit tomorrow, and the drain fill is in an awkward position so it will be hard to determine the true overfill level, but I will measure the amount that I drain into a container.

more later.

kelazier

Threads
Sorry to take so long to respond; too many honey-do projects...

The crankcase was filled with gas as suggested. I drained oil, refilled, and everything seems normal again. Thanks to everyone who gave advice! This is a great site.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The reason why the engine filled with fuel is the float in the carb was not shutting off the fuel so it overfills then drains out of the air vent into the throat and from there into the engine.
The fuel contamination in the oil requires two oil changes so run the engine 15 minutes so the oil gets hot enough to boil off any remaining fuel then change it again .
The new carb should fix the float valve problem , for now but if it was caused by rust or debris from the fuel tank or little bits o rubber from a fuel line breaking down then you have cured the symptom, not the cause.
The contents of the old carb's fuel bowl should provide the clues
If there is rust in there then an in line fuel filter will catch most of what is coming from the fuel tank.
If there are little bits of rubber then you need to replace all of the fuel lines.