Slime vs Briggs tire sealer

Which Tire sealer do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I've used slime, and my dad has used slime for years, mostly on lawnmower tires and 4 wheelers. Matter of fact I have slime in a tire on the Mule right now , been working for 3+ years, almost daily driving
Never heard of using laundry starch, interesting.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I haven't used much slime but have used the Briggs version and seems to work OK, but doesn't seem to work as fast as some of the other others I have used. Just seems like the Briggs brand takes awhile for it to work into the holes and then actually seal them. I have used the Oregon brand in the past and seemed to work better. I have torn apart tires with Slime, Briggs and a couple of other brands and have never found them to cause the rims to rust. I think people are having a holdover feeling from the fix-a-flat days where that stuff was like CaCl to the rims.
Update threw away about half a 5 gallon bucket of the briggs brands sealant and have went back to installing tubes.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I hate the stuff myself. I seen too times people use it and then want me to install tubes. Most times the rims are rusted and the tires are ruined from the slime junk. I will clean and paint the rims but it is a new tire that goes afterwards. It is sad that something that suppose to work will not after the tires sits for several week just to have a puddle of slime under them and the tire are flat.

I tell upfront that if they have use the slime that most likely they will need a new tire. They can continue putting the junk in but don't expect me to clean up afterwards. They can do it themselves. I did show a couple customer how the slime ate away thier inner liner and how it melted those cheap Chinese tubes.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As Star has mentioned, slime will destroy the rim if there was any imperfections in the paint as it then lifts the paint & accelerates the rusting process.
The first tiem you notice it is when the rust gets under the edge of the tyre & it starts leaking.
All of these products are basically the same and all are water soluable so can only be considered a temporary fix at best.
I do not and will not add it to any tube or tyre and if I find it in a tyre that comes in for repair I put the timer on and charge actual hours .

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
No Tire sealer is a 100% fix you should still check the tire occasionally. I use to work in the auto tire industry and the tire manufactures would tell you that a good tire can loose 2 lbs. of pressure a month and lawn mower tires are even worse.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Update threw away about half a 5 gallon bucket of the briggs brands sealant and have went back to installing tubes.

You should've saved the sealant to put in the tubes. It works better in tubes than tires. Depending on the size of the hole, of course.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
You should've saved the sealant to put in the tubes. It works better in tubes than tires. Depending on the size of the hole, of course.
Technically still have it sitting in the bucket in the corner. And had to deal with a mess after somebody put slime in the tube on a rider and then it leaked out of the tube into the tire, squirted out of the valve stem hole into my face when I tried to air up the low tire.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Will it really work in tube type tires never tried it was told it would not work.