Question of Kohler CV730 timing - Bewildered

watchinggoodman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Let me try to make a long story short.

I have a Kohler CV730 on my FX2500 Dixie Chopper. A couple of weeks ago it started running rough and leaking a lot of oil. When I took it down the guts of one of the lifter was in the valve cover, the rocker loose and rotated (undamaged) and the push rod loose (undamaged). It looks like the lifter sir clip failed causing the problem.

I was prepared to replace the head gaskets because of the oil leakage which I did with the updated kohler gaskets with no surprises on the R&R.

While I had it torn down I took the coils and flywheel off and replaced the upper crankcase seal (no leakage, just while I had it down). After replacing the seal and flywheel I also installed the new updated coils which I gapped and I have spark.

Its important to note while the flywheel was off I turned the engine over several times inspecting the camshaft lobe and valves for damage etc.

Now that it is all back together I'm having trouble getting it started. The little bit of running that its done has been rough - it was running better before I took it down and replace the broken lifter and head gaskets. When trying to start it, it sound to me like an engine 180 degrees out of time.

So here's my question: Is it possible that the engine is out of time because of removing the flywheel, turning the engine over several time, and then replacing the flywheel with no regard on my part to the fact that I could get it out of time? I just assumed that because the flywheel and crankshaft were key wayed that the flywheel could only go on in time with the crank. I'm stumped.

Thanks

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
No,
more like your "coil update"...

Were you getting rid of the Smartspark?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Are you sure you matched the crankshaft and camshaft timing marks before you bolted the cover back on. While inspecting the cam lobes you may have gotten it one tooth off resulting in rough running.

watchinggoodman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the input.

I didn't have the case apart so the cam and crank can't be out of time. I only took the flywheel off, rotated the crank several times and then put the flywheel back on.

The coil packs on the engine were the old style and I replaced them with the updated ones for the CV730.

Mower King

Threads
Not saying this is your problem but, I have seen Kohler coils that were not correct OEM numbers to the original engine, even though they fit and run, but not run right because...all coils do not have the same timing advance/retard built into them, thus, causing rough running engine.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
What is the spec number of your engine. I can't find any of the spark advance modules conversions that were used on the CV730. CV735 yes but not the CV730

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
have a quick captain Cook at the timing key.
Very common for one to break when refitting the flywheel unless you have used a piston stop to prevent the crank turning while tightening the not.
If the crank has a bit f rust, that can stop the flywheel sitting tight on it's taper.
If you give the flywheel a LIGHT TAP down, it should lock onto the crank tight enough to prevent you lifting it off if the tapers are in good condition.

geelee

Threads
the cv730 should have had the single wire fixed ignition coils, if you put the advance coils used on the cv740 the timing will be way off. there is a service bulletin for a kit that has the advance coils and a new flywheel for about 150 bucks. that's cheap. but being sunday morning and not at work I don't have the number, but can sent it tomorrow if needed.