Kubota ZD26 mower gear lube

vettman

Forum Newbie
Threads
My mower is a Kubota ZD 326, not ZD26; I don't see anyway to edit the "title field".

I'm getting ready to change drive gear lube on the mower deck, and was wondering if anyone sees a problem using 80-90w oil. I've not been able to find single viscosity 90w. Also, does anyone have a clever way to "capture" the old oil before it gets all over the drive belt and deck. I tried using an aluminum pie tin, but still had a "mess". I'm new to the forum, and this is my first post.

Thanks

Heatwave

Forum Newbie
Threads
My mower is a Kubota ZD 326, not ZD26; I don't see anyway to edit the "title field".

I'm getting ready to change drive gear lube on the mower deck, and was wondering if anyone sees a problem using 80-90w oil. I've not been able to find single viscosity 90w. Also, does anyone have a clever way to "capture" the old oil before it gets all over the drive belt and deck. I tried using an aluminum pie tin, but still had a "mess". I'm new to the forum, and this is my first post.

Thanks

Suggestion: Visit a farm feed & seed store and get a king-size hypodermic syringe ... not more than a coupla bucks, at the most. Or, get a turkey baster from WalMart ... cheap. Fashion a length of surgical tubing (or similar tubing) to fit the end of the syringe, and draw out the oil. After you've pulled out all you can reach, remove the drain plug from the deck and let the residue drain ... there won't be much. Keep a bag of OilDri handy, just in case. Good luck

vettman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: Kubota ZD326 mower gear lube

Suggestion: Visit a farm feed & seed store and get a king-size hypodermic syringe ... not more than a coupla bucks, at the most. Or, get a turkey baster from WalMart ... cheap. Fashion a length of surgical tubing (or similar tubing) to fit the end of the syringe, and draw out the oil. After you've pulled out all you can reach, remove the drain plug from the deck and let the residue drain ... there won't be much. Keep a bag of OilDri handy, just in case. Good luck

Excellent idea, and I already have the syringe that will do the job.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Use 75W-90 synthetic... or 75W-140, I have used both for decades. Never any problems using superior lubricants... :smile::smile:KennyV

bones66

Threads
Use 75W-90 synthetic... or 75W-140, I have used both for decades. Never any problems using superior lubricants... :smile::smile:KennyV

Kenny V, I haven't looked it up but Vettman say's his ZD-326 recommends a straight 90w gear oil. He say's he can find a 80-90w oil. If I remember right with the w following the 90 this is 80 weight oil that tested to a 90 in the winter (w). I understand your suggestion is a synthetic but it is further out of mfg spec. than what he had found. I too am a fan of synthetics and everything I have has synthetic oil in them but...............dealers are funny people and I will not run anything but dealer oil until warranty has expired. I just purchased a new outboard motor and was told explicitly what I could and could not do to maintain my warranty!!! I don't think it's right but they are the ones that approve or deny a warranty claim. I'm not saying you are wrong with your suggestion to Vettman just a thought!

bones66

Threads
Well, Now I guess I went and torqued KennyV off? I sure hope I said nothing to offend him when I questioned his response, His contributions are valuable to the forum. I was hoping for some comments on the selection of lube and also dealers approval and denial of a warranty claims.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well, Now I guess I went and torqued KennyV off? I sure hope I said nothing to offend him when I questioned his response,....
I was hoping for some comments on the selection of lube and also dealers approval and denial of a warranty claims.

Hey no offense taken, 'most' of the discussion on lubricants you find in any blog are only opinion based on not having any problem with a particular brand name...
There are some real benefits in selecting the proper lubes, but the reality is that a properly designed gear box of any kind is likely so over built that it is not going to be terribly sensitive to selection.

In multi viscosity oils the LOWER number reflects the winter viscosity & the higher number the summer or Hot viscosity.... This is usually accomplished by adding long chain viscosity improver's... The actual use of any lubricant will shear down that additive package ... synthetics are more shear stable and have a longer useful lifespan at any particular viscosity....
I have never read of a manufacture denying a warranty claim based on a lube Brand OR viscosity...
Now there are many on, too little or NO oil & wrong Type of oil....
most viscosity issues are aimed at start up temperatures and economy of operation, Temperature sensitive lubes will fall within a very good working range at operational temperatures...
The actual consideration for what actual oil is best for any particular application will get into several more important factors than the viscosity. Fortunately Most off the shelf products will be fine in average applications.
But if you are inclined you can find superior lubricants... :smile:KennyV

Mike1058

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey no offense taken, 'most' of the discussion on lubricants you find in any blog are only opinion based on not having any problem with a particular brand name...
There are some real benefits in selecting the proper lubes, but the reality is that a properly designed gear box of any kind is likely so over built that it is not going to be terribly sensitive to selection.

In multi viscosity oils the LOWER number reflects the winter viscosity & the higher number the summer or Hot viscosity.... This is usually accomplished by adding long chain viscosity improver's... The actual use of any lubricant will shear down that additive package ... synthetics are more shear stable and have a longer useful lifespan at any particular viscosity....
I have never read of a manufacture denying a warranty claim based on a lube Brand OR viscosity...
Now there are many on, too little or NO oil & wrong Type of oil....
most viscosity issues are aimed at start up temperatures and economy of operation, Temperature sensitive lubes will fall within a very good working range at operational temperatures...
The actual consideration for what actual oil is best for any particular application will get into several more important factors than the viscosity. Fortunately Most off the shelf products will be fine in average applications.
But if you are inclined you can find superior lubricants... :smile:KennyV

I have a ZD326 and want to confirm amount of gear oil to use. I have 75-140 and was told that it holds 3.6 qts