JD L125 quit moving

clcmbtn

Threads
Hi guys,

So I'm mowing my lawn and the mower just stops. It was still running, but with my foot on the forward pedal it just stopped moving. No forward or reverse. I looked underneath with it running and the belt and fan are not turning. I can hear a slight hum coming from the case. The trans is un servicable. Is my trans shot? I have it out but haven't pulled the cover off yet. Anyone have any ideas?

TIA,
Chris

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Double check, the belt and fan are NOT turning?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You need to check these things before declaring the transmission dead.
1. When was the last time you replaced the drive belt? Could be worn.
2. Did you remove the deck to see if the belt was still routed properly? Did it jump out of alignment?
3. Did you check the idler pulleys to see if they were good? Bearings may be bad.
4. Is there tension on the belt? Could be a broken spring not allowing proper tension.
5. When you checked to see if the belt and fan were turning, did you have the brake on? Need brake off.
I wouldn’t tear into the tranny until I had answers to these questions.

clcmbtn

Threads
So everything you mentioned has been checked and found to be in good shape. So I pulled the transaxle out and pulled the cover off. The gears all look fine. So I pulled the pump and it the lower IDS Valve was not sticking out like the one above. Aren't they both suppose to stick out just a little bit? Is it possible the filter self destructed? I am mechanically inclined but I don't know much about these transxles.

D

Deleted member 97405

So everything you mentioned has been checked and found to be in good shape. So I pulled the transaxle out and pulled the cover off. The gears all look fine. So I pulled the pump and it the lower IDS Valve was not sticking out like the one above. Aren't they both suppose to stick out just a little bit? Is it possible the filter self destructed? I am mechanically inclined but I don't know much about these transxles.

If the belt was on the transmission pulley and the pulley wasn't turning, the problem is NOT in your transmission!
Nothing in the transmission would prevent the belt from turning the pulley.
If there was something stuck in the transmission that had seized the pulley, you would have seen and smelled the belt smoking as it tried to turn the pulley.
When you looked under it with it running, did you lock your brake or did you have someone else on the seat?
If you locked the brake, the belt will loosen up and not turn the pulley.
The splines in the pulley can strip out and you will hear a low grinding noise.
The pulley is purposely made softer than the trans shaft.

clcmbtn

Threads
So as it turns out Rivets and Will1988 were right. I looked at the belt and it was moving freely (one one end). You really can't see to good up there so I dropped the deck and put the mower in the air. A stick was jammed about 3" from the main pulley where the guard ends. Pulled that out and cleaned all the crap out and everything was moving as it should. I put cleaned the transaxle abd==nd out the cover on and slapped it back up underneath and just finished mowing.

Thank you to everyone that added to this and helped. It is greatly appreciated!!

Chris

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for the update, guess I finally got lucky with the correct answer.