John Deere STX30 hydro winter project

• Thread starter Deleted member 97405
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 97405

Hey everyone, I have an interesting project lined up for this winter.
I will be converting my STX30 (yellow deck) from 5 speed to hydro.
I have a donor STX38 (black deck) hydro tractor that I will be using for parts.
The short story is that it is my mom's tractor and she can't work the clutch due to a bad hip. She absolutely loves the tractor and wants to continue to mow her own grass. The reason I don't just get her a newer hydro tractor is that her backyard gate is only 35 inches wide so no newer John Deere will go through it.
I suppose I could take the simple route and put the 30 inch deck under the hydro tractor, but I think it would be way cooler to have a STX30 serial numbered frame with a hydro under it just to confuse the local dealer! (I used to work at that dealership so they would get a laugh out of it)
It will be built using all stock parts from both tractors so it will look like it came that way from the factory. Only folks who know that Deere never made a hydro STX30 will know the difference.
Should be a fun project. I will update the post as the project gets underway...

NorthBama

Threads
those are tough little machines i have a STX38 yellow deck keep us updated on you project

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And as the under 40's say
It never happened unless we see the photos.:laughing:

D

Deleted member 97405

Update. I have stripped down the hydro tractor and compared frames. They are very similar, but the 5 speed frame will require some modification where the hydro linkage goes through it as well as the brake pedal mounts. The deck rear lift links are different as well and will need swapped out. This project is still going to happen, but since the 5 speed trans is still going strong, I am going to hold off the conversion at least until next winter or until the transmission craps out. If it was an easier conversion, I would do it now, but since there is no issue with the 5 speed at the moment, there is no reason to tear apart a perfectly good working machine. That is all for now.

AVB

Threads
I wonder if the Ariens 915157 34" ZTR would fit through the gate opening.

D

Deleted member 97405

AVB, the STX30 goes through the gate with about an inch of clearance on either side. It is a very narrow opening. We prefer a Deere riding mower and the STX30 will last the rest of my mom's lifetime. Thankyou for the suggestion tho!

AVB

Threads
No problem I deal with opening problems too with some other customers. I got one that anything over 38" will not fit through his metal fence opening. Things are concreted in place.