RTZ54 blades won't engage.... I have tried almost everything, It's not the clutch...

Threads
  • / RTZ54 blades won't engage.... I have tried almost everything, It's not the clutch...
That is exactly what happens when a wire is broken at a terminal.
You get a voltage till you try to draw current.
Get a pin and go back a few inches.
Push the pin through the + wire and take readings from there.
If the voltage drops to 0 when a load is applied then there is a problem in the mowers wiring.

I can not find a wiring diagram for your mower.

That would make sense. My problem is that the broken wire would have to be on the mower side through the worm hole and under the seat. Since I am hot wiring the PTO harness and it works I assume it's good. That makes finding the broken wire more problematic. I will probe around a bit, but I may just buy a 12 volt ON/OFF switch and wire it directly to the clutch using my 5 amp fuse let it go at that. I already turn off the blades any time that I get off the mower. These electrical gremlins can prove to be rather frustrating. I plan on running until it dies anyway. Thank you for your help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / RTZ54 blades won't engage.... I have tried almost everything, It's not the clutch...
These electrical gremlins can prove to be rather frustrating. I plan on running until it dies anyway.

Never a truer word has been posted here.
Not really a good idea to run with the deck safety system by passed.
The most likely place for a break in the wire is at the plug.
This is why I use the pin through a wire trick.
If you get 0V at the plug but still get 12 V a few inches back = dud plug terminal.
Being a rider of shakey old motorcycles reinforcing terminal / wire joints with a piece or two of heat shrink is SOP.

The clutch wires are oft not supported particularly well and some spiral wrap around them is also a good idea.
In any case, coming up to winter your way so can be some welcome shed time when SHMBO is not happy.

Threads
I will tinker with it as I have time. Thank you for all your advise and research !