Champion Generator

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well crap:

Got the new governor installed (stupid sideways design with nothing but the governor rod to hold the cap on). And it ran fine. Although the electricity going to the saws-all I had plugged in, seem to fluctuate too much.
Anywho, I was adjusting the RPM's, when I pulled the governor arm back, apparently the little cap came off the governor and it started over revving again.

Why that governor isn't lying on the bottom, face up, instead of sideways, is beyond me. Now, I gotta take it all apart again, to put that little plastic cap back on it.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Clamp? I didn't see no clamp. And still don't see how that plastic cap is supposed to stay on.

tadawson

Threads
Can't speak to a Chindra, but on the Hondas I have been in, the clip that holds the arm with the paddle in the block interfaces with a casting flange that limit's it's rotation. For that matter, I can't imaging how that arm would gibe clearance for anything to depart if tne gov linkage it set correctly (assuming you have the correct gov, and not just 'close' . . ).

Again, I suggest you contact the mfg. and verify . . .

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can't speak to a Chindra, but on the Hondas I have been in, the clip that holds the arm with the paddle in the block interfaces with a casting flange that limit's it's rotation. For that matter, I can't imaging how that arm would gibe clearance for anything to depart if tne gov linkage it set correctly (assuming you have the correct gov, and not just 'close' . . ).

Again, I suggest you contact the mfg. and verify . . .

Yes that goov rod is bent and rotates around to the top of the cap. From the looks of things, it's the only thing that keeps the cap on the gov gear and weights. Under the plastic gear, is a metal rod that fits through the middle of the plastic gear and also though the block, under the flywheel. That's the clip the guy was talking about in the video.
I thinking I got them out of order.

But none of that has anything to do with why there's nothing that hold that cap from coming off, except the gov rod.

This is just one of those things that don't compute in my brain, I guess. I'm just glad it's not a customers. But dang it. I can't stand not figuring it out and understanding the how's and why's.

tadawson

Threads
The limited range of motion of the rod when the throttle linkage is setup correctly may well be used as the retainer. As I noted prior, on the real Hondas I have worked on, the clip that retains the gov rod in the block also enforces hard limits on it's range of motion.

Looking at the exploded view of a Honda GX, I see the same - no retainer proper, but the same hairpin clip on the gov rod on the outside of the block, that typically indexes a flat side on that rod, and is limited in rotation by a raised boss on about half the diameter of where the gov rod exits the block: https://www.planopower.com/oem-part...ARREL/GX200-JPN-HX//A/2410ZK001AZK00E0300BC/y

Or a service manual for a Honda that should be very close - review section 7: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...GX160_SM.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3R38sJOynsJmDifC5eMkya

It's possible that your springs are wrong, or in the wrong holes, causing the gov to expend far more than it should . . . and the surging is another indicator that the linkage may be setup wrong . . .

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
The limited range of motion of the rod when the throttle linkage is setup correctly may well be used as the retainer. As I noted prior, on the real Hondas I have worked on, the clip that retains the gov rod in the block also enforces hard limits on it's range of motion.

Looking at the exploded view of a Honda GX, I see the same - no retainer proper, but the same hairpin clip on the gov rod on the outside of the block, that typically indexes a flat side on that rod, and is limited in rotation by a raised boss on about half the diameter of where the gov rod exits the block: https://www.planopower.com/oem-part...ARREL/GX200-JPN-HX//A/2410ZK001AZK00E0300BC/y

Or a service manual for a Honda that should be very close - review section 7: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...GX160_SM.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3R38sJOynsJmDifC5eMkya

It's possible that your springs are wrong, or in the wrong holes, causing the gov to expend far more than it should . . . and the surging is another indicator that the linkage may be setup wrong . . .

From you exploded view of the Honda, which almost exact as this champion, THE only thing that holds #4 (slider) is the paddle end of the Gov. arm. Therefore, the gov arm now, has too much range of motion. The engine, when I finally got it back together was not over revving. Only when I pulled the gov. control arm back (quickly, I suppose I pulled it back farther than it was supposed to go. It was only just a quick second, and the cap (slider) came off the governor. Which started the over revving again. (BTW, the reason I did that, was because it seemed as if something was hanging up the throttle plate just a little bit. It would idle up some when I used my sawsall, but wouldn't adle down when I released the sawsall trigger. At least not right away.

The key to this is going to be in what you said about the range of motion. And a clip that's supposed to keep the gov from moving away from the cap (slider)

Thanks for the expanded views of this. They're going to help out a bunch.

tadawson

Threads
Not sure if your Chindra is totally like a Honda or not, but on a Honda proper (as per the service manual) the clip that holds the paddle arm in is to have the flat side sit in the notch in the shaft, and then it contacts to block casting to limit movement. Not sure if the knockoff paid that much attention to detail . . .

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not sure if your Chindra is totally like a Honda or not, but on a Honda proper (as per the service manual) the clip that holds the paddle arm in is to have the flat side sit in the notch in the shaft, and then it contacts to block casting to limit movement. Not sure if the knockoff paid that much attention to detail . . .

I'm gonna tear it down tomorrow, or sometime next week. I remember seeing a notch in the gov rod (with the paddle). I thought that's where the wire clip fit.

tadawson

Threads
It is, Honda is just specific which side of the hairpin clip aligns with the notch.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Finally getting back around to this generator. I've been watching a few video's of bypassing the governor with a direct throttle cable. The procedures on this, looks pretty simple. Just wondering if anyone else has done this?
This gen will be used only for power outages. Once the necessities get plugged in, they won't change much (except for the fridge compressor). So setting the throttle to a good RPM should be ok. Right?