Champion Generator

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Someone brought me Champion Generator, model 46514 with some missing parts. I've gotten everything back together now. It starts easy. But goodness, it sounds like it's revving waaaaay too high.
1st question, does anyone know where the governor spring (to the throttle goes? There's one slot on the end, where the solid linkage goes. Then there's two more a couple of inches closer to where the governor comes out of the engine. At the moment, I have it ran like a briggs, where the spring is connected close to the linkage holes. I actually ran the linkage through the spring. Also, there's only the throttle linkage and the spring from the governor arm. Is there still some missing linkages?

I can't find any pictures or diagrams where this all connects.

Update to add pics: (sorry for the blurry one. )
20190911_135027.jpg20190911_134903.jpg20190911_135035.jpg

Attachments

• 20190911_135000.jpg
    20190911_135000.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have two other generatoms here. Both Champions. But neither of them have the same set up or carb. The other two have arms on each side of the governor. At the other end, is a separate spring that pulls it towards slow idle. The other end has the linkage and spring that coonect to the throttle. So I rigged up a lite spring to pulled the arm towards slow idle. That stopped it from over revving. But there's still nothing that goes to the "L" shaped arm that determines the slow idle.

According to the paint, it looks like a spring.

I'll post more pics in a few minutes.
20190911_182936.jpg20190911_183001.jpg20190911_183012.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your first picture has the governor spring hook up correctly to the governor arm. It is there to remove any slack in the governor link, so you get an immediate reaction when the governor kicks in. Other end of the spring should be attached to the throttle plate. Make sure you set governed top speed to both volts and hertz. If you don’t, you may be burning up tools.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, the other end, the linkage and the spring only hook to the throttle. Big hole and tiny hole for the spring.

On one of those pics, you can see the L bracket, I know something has got to connect to it. Considering the two holes on that side of the governor arm, makes sense for something to connect to the L bracket and one of hole closest to the actual governor. And from the looks of the yellow paint, it looks like a spring used to vibrate on it, inline with the governor arm and the L bracket.

Notice the linkage and the spring. Right above that is where the old spring (i'm guessing) has rubbed the paint.
PaintSpring.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That added spring in the pics you just posted does not look OEM and makes no sense to me. Shouldn’t need an assist spring to close the throttle.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On most newer generators the only control the user has is the low idle speed.
The governor does the rest.
The low idle is set by the screw while measuring the output voltage and get cranked up till it measures then minimum line voltage.
Down here where we have 240V & 415 V they get set to 220 V
Then you hook up a heavy load & measure the voltage again as the generator accelerates.
If the voltage drops then you crank up the low idle a bit more.
If the carby throttle is sitting against the throttle stop & the engine is racing then some one has screwed it up.
Not uncommon to have one come in where the dopey owner has wound it up to 4000 rpm which burns up the output voltage regulator.

Also double check that the governor arm is set correctly on the governor shaft.
A racing engine will result if it is set up backwards.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The area I painted is where the governor spring will connect Just make sure it is the correct governor spring because it has to have the correct rate of pull. Without a spring connected to those two points the governor should force the engine to idle only.

attachment.php

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    523.4 KB · Views: 90

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
The added spring, you are correct. It's not OEM. It's my own little trial & error. As I said both my other generators have two springs. One long skinny one that goes to the throttle plate. And one on the other end of the gov arm to keep it pulled back. The other two gens I have, have that OEM.
Without the added spring, it gen ran wide open.

The low idle screw, that Bert pointed out, I suspect somehow does what my added spring (on the back side of the governor arm) does. Only which would be adjustable. But I'm not sure how a spring there would keep the engine from over revving.

I suppose the guy who had this generator last, lost this spring. The throttle plate spring came with it, but wasn't attached to anything. So could it be that the spring I have connected to the throttle plate, actually go to the low idle arm?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well we do not get that brand down here but the spring around the governor / throttle rod looks way too heavy for a damper spring

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well we do not get that brand down here but the spring around the governor / throttle rod looks way too heavy for a damper spring

You may have something with that. This is, apparently a Honda knock off. Surely you have those.

I'm gonna move that spring first thing. And remove the added spring on the back of the gov arm, and see what happens.