Champion Generator

tadawson

Threads
You can"t make it any less usable by opening it up to have alook, and that's free!

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I noticed something strange about the gov. I distinctly remember the top of the gov was in a certain position before I removed the arm and tried berts advice on checking the governor. The top of it is a half moon, and the line was parallel with the arm. Today, I was gonna move the generator out of the way, and noticed it had turned clockwise. On an hour clock, the turn would've been about 1.5 to 2 hours.
So, I put everything back on, governor arm, spring and linkage, and fired it up again.

No difference in it over revving. But a big difference in where the gov was. Also, I can pull the gov up and down about an inch or so.

tadawson

Threads
What happens if you loosen the clamp on the gov arm to it's shaft, and move the arm to the point the carb is wide open, and while holding that there, turn the gov shaft as far as it can go in that same direction, and then tightn the clamp? Thatbtakes all the slackmout of the linkage, and not sure if you have tried setting it up that way or not . . . .

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
What happens if you loosen the clamp on the gov arm to it's shaft, and move the arm to the point the carb is wide open, and while holding that there, turn the gov shaft as far as it can go in that same direction, and then tightn the clamp? Thatbtakes all the slackmout of the linkage, and not sure if you have tried setting it up that way or not . . . .

You're describing adjusting the governor. That's what I've done. A few times now.

What changed, was after taking the governor arm off the gov. and cranking it to see if the gov moves , After wards, I noticed the governor was actually turned more clockwise than I was able to turn it earlier.

Clockwise is towards full throttle.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Found it.

20190924_174655-1.jpg20190924_174716-1.jpg

So I'm looking for a replacement and I think I've found it. Except, there's a rod in there that I didn't find in the block anywhere?
Far right in the picture. Where does this go?
s-l1600.jpg

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
That rod would be the governor shaft which is what the gear and plunger ride on.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
That rod would be the governor shaft which is what the gear and plunger ride on.

I think I see it now. the gear doesn't ride on the gov rod that sticks out of the block. The rod just sort of rest on the top of the plunger to keep everything in place. I didn't see any other damage inside. No scaring on the cylinder or other gouges. So maybe this will be easy from here on out.

tadawson

Threads
It sounded like it was running OK, just not holding speed, so that's a good sign. Champion claims the engines as thier own (although likely outsourced) so for something as cheap as the gov, you might call them . . .the appear to be in Wisconsin, and (at least to me) it would make sense to try for an exact part rather than guess to save $5 . . .

Hard to speculate on the failure - there is basically no load on the gov gear, so no idea what could cause it to rekit like that, othen than an outright defect in the nylon gear, or perhaps a chunk of crap that got into the case.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
their "Champion engines" look alot like the Chondas, or Chinese honda clones. similar to the Predators at harbor freight.
I know some people who have over 500 hrs on predators, that have pressure washing businesses/construction etc.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
There's a keeper on the actual governor arm that comes out of the block. It appears to be pretty loose. And has slid all the way down to the curve in the gov arm. Easy to move up and down.
I'm guessing the arm is installed from the inside out. I need to check that keeper out to see if it's bent out of shape. And figure out exactly where on the arm it's supposed to go. I would imagine is sits firm against the inside of the block, to keep the arm from sliding down.