Engine Spitting Fuel Through Intake

rebeltaz

Threads
If you can, disconnect the EGR hose start the engine and see if that makes the problem go away.

Hey... I was thinking. Before I put this back together... if that does fix the problem, what would the cause be? The only thing that I can think would be if compression was leaking past the rings. If that were the case, I shouldn't have such high compression (150psi), would I?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
150 is about right.
I have a 1 cylinder 9 Horse engine with a spec of 176 psi.

Lawn Addict
Threads
150 is about right.
I have a 1 cylinder 9 Horse engine with a spec of 176 psi.

Scrubcadet- Does the 9 horse have a lot of carbon in combustion area, including piston top ?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey... I was thinking. Before I put this back together... if that does fix the problem, what would the cause be? The only thing that I can think would be if compression was leaking past the rings. If that were the case, I shouldn't have such high compression (150psi), would I?
It can get in the crankcase through a worn exhaust valve guide.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Scrubcadet- Does the 9 horse have a lot of carbon in combustion area, including piston top ?

Lol! That's the spec in the manual for the Kawasaki Fe 290
But I mis typed,it's 160.

Lawn Addict
Threads
10-4..

rebeltaz

Threads
It can get in the crankcase through a worn exhaust valve guide.

OK... so I put everything back together, disconnected the crankcase ventilation hose and started it back up. Still got the gas spraying out the intake and running way rich.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
You've checked that the cam timing is correct, and that the compression release is working as it should?

rebeltaz

Threads
You've checked that the cam timing is correct, and that the compression release is working as it should?

I have checked the cam timing. There's a photo earlier in this thread that I took of that. The compression release, no... to look at that, I'm going to have to pull the camshaft out to see it. I did inject air into the cylinders, though, and I couldn't hear any leaks with the valves closed and the piston at top dead center.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have checked the cam timing. There's a photo earlier in this thread that I took of that. The compression release, no... to look at that, I'm going to have to pull the camshaft out to see it. I did inject air into the cylinders, though, and I couldn't hear any leaks with the valves closed and the piston at top dead center.

I don't think that's a valid check of the compression release but I'm not familiar with your engine. There wouldn't be much point in a compression release still being open at TDC.