Down and out

Coelacanth64

Threads
Folks,
In July my 1992, 1440 quit. It developed that the issue was a bad alternator. That was replaced, and the mower again ran like new...until Tuesday. I had been mowing for about 10 minutes when it just sputtered and quit. I tried cranking it over about 4-5 times, and on the last attempt it started normally and it mowed fine for the next two hours.

Thursday I started it up again and started mowing. It ran for about 20 minutes and then quit. This time, no restart.

I towed it with my ATV back to the garage. I had no clue, but given that it restarted before, I suspected fuel. So I choked it and cranked it a few times. Then I pulled a spark plug. Dry as a bone. Hmmmm! So I accessed the carb and disconnected the fuel line. I cranked the motor and fuel spit out.

So, I suspect that the carburetor is the issue. Not a surprise, given it’s age. The unit is a Mikuni. I’ve worked on Mikuni carbs on motorcycles, but this is another animal. If anyone has any guidance regarding its removal and reconditioning it would be most welcome. If not, I’ll let the “professionals” take a whack at it. But, I hate doing that.

:rolleyes: