Mulching results in clumps

zamboknee

Threads
My 5-6 year old HRX217VLA isn't mulching the greatest. I have it set to fill mulch but it's leaving some grass clumps behind.
I sharpened the blades a few years ago but they're probably in need of replacement now.
Would a new set of blades fix this clumping issue?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Clumping when mulching is generally because you are being too greedy and cutting too much grass

Reactions: HRX

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As Bert said “raise your cutting height “ and sharpening or replacing the blades would help.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sharpen the blades, clean the underside of the deck, cut no more than one inch of grass, give it time to mulch, mow late in the day when the grass is really dry.

Reactions: HRX

zamboknee

Threads
My neighbor cuts his REALLY short and, with no bag, there's hardly any clumps left behind. I ran the mower this season for the first time the other day (grass was by no means super tall) with a brand new blade(s) and it still left clumps.

keakar

Threads
My 5-6 year old HRX217VLA isn't mulching the greatest. I have it set to fill mulch but it's leaving some grass clumps behind.
I sharpened the blades a few years ago but they're probably in need of replacement now.
mine only does that when the blades are dull and blades should be sharpened at minimum once a year and most should be done 2 or maybe 3 times during the season depending on how much and how often you cut it. the average yard size getting cut once a week would, in most cases, be ok with a once a year sharpening but it would cut better if you did it twice, once at beginning of season and again mid season.

blades only cost $10 each so keep them sharp and dont hesitate to replace them if they show signs of wear like rounding on the tip edges

zamboknee

Threads
See my latest post: ‘with brand new blades’

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Mulching is a funny thing.
It is very dependent upon the VARIETY of the grass, the density of the grass and of course the water content in the grass when you gut it
You get better mulching late in the afternoon on a hot day
To "vanish" into your lawn, the clippings have to be small enough to fall into the larger spaces between the blades of grass remaining.
Thus you need small clippings and large voids for the clippings to vanish .
Next is the speed of mowing , successful mulching will need ay\ttention to the speed of tavel and that will depend upon your actual lawn .

dfbrown

Threads
On a hrx217 check these and it should work as designed. Motor spinning 3,100 rpm or a touch more, clean deck sharp blades ( blades should be sharpened every 8-12 working hours) take no more then 1/3 off the top, dry grass and not going max speed. If all of those are good then there should be no problem. I own and have owned a $hit load of 21” mowers and still do. Honda’s mulch the best. If your trying to take 4” off and cutting real low and going 3/4 of its max speed it won’t mulch. No mower will. Experiment a few things. They are excellent mowers. Good luck. Btw definitely check rpms. It doesn’t have to scream or anything but being down 2-400 rpm definitely can affect it.