Engine Honda GCV160 kill switch functioning backwards

EricNCSU1204

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mower is a 2007 Husky push mower with the Honda GCV160 engine.

I replaced the engine stop switch (little black microswitch with plunger). before you pulled back the orange bar to start the engine which depressed the plunger on the switch. you released the orange bar and it killed the engine (releases plunger).

Now with the new switch (genuine honda part), engine will not start unless the orange bar is RELEASED (plunger open) and to kill engine you pull back the orange bar (depresses plunger).

I am baffled. I checked the wire that goes from the stop switch to the ignition coil with a multimeter and its fine.

Any ideas? when running the engine runs great otherwise.

dougand3

Threads
If it's a Husqvarna push mower - (you need to list the model #), then you may need a Husqvarna part. This switch has opposite closed/open positions for you. You need a Normally Closed switch that opens when bail handle is pulled back.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are two switches
The normally open one that gets used on mowers without a flywheel brake and is activated by the throttle.
A normally closed one which gets used on mowers with a flywheel brake & activated by it.
To get the correct one you need to look at the complete mower parts list and not the engine parts list because which switch is used depends upon what mower it is fitted to

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
You are going to need the prefix-serial number-suffix numbers that are stamped into the block to look up the correct part for your engine. A few years ago Honda went from a open to run ignition system to a closed to run ignition system.

There will be a series of 4-5 letters followed by 7 numbers and maybe after or below will be another series of 2-4 numbers and letters that is the information that is required to look up the parts for your specific engine.

EricNCSU1204

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks so much for your help. This is exactly what I thought may have happened, bc there is no other reason for it to function backwards.

engine serial number GJAEA 4918891 S3A8 --- last "8" may be something else as it wasn't clear.

Where do I find a parts list for my engine? This mower was purchased new ~January-March 2007

EricNCSU1204

Forum Newbie
Threads
according to the honda website, when I enter my serial number, the actual stop switch i need is 35120-ZM0-003.... Thanks so much for everyones help!!!!