Fuel gauge float don't float

Sir Grassley

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello friends, Anybody else have a fuel gauge that quit working on their Toro zero turn? When I found that the company wants you to buy the whole tank for $250+, I pulled the gauge out of the tank to find the plastic float does not float anymore. Replaced with plastic float out of an old mower. How many bad ones are out there? Two year old mower. Next thing I need to do is cut the plastic float open to see if someone put a chunk of gold in there.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just curious, would you post the model and serial numbers for your unit.

Sir Grassley

Forum Newbie
Threads
I should've mentioned the mower's identity; Toro Timecutter MyRide #75212. I called the company about the issue and of course I was put on "spin-cycle". Still a fine mower though. Just wondering how many will be without a functioning fuel gauge soon.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As I thought, when I looked up that model number, all three serial number ranges use the same fuel gauge which is part of the gas cap. Toro part number is 133-9270 and lists for $34.10. Double check you model number and if it is 75212, with a gauge in the cap, it is for cheaper than a whole tank. If the gauge is not in the cap post the serial number.

Sir Grassley

Forum Newbie
Threads
As I thought, when I looked up that model number, all three serial number ranges use the same fuel gauge which is part of the gas cap. Toro part number is 133-9270 and lists for $34.10. Double check you model number and if it is 75212, with a gauge in the cap, it is for cheaper than a whole tank. If the gauge is not in the cap post the serial number.

Thank you much for looking that up, but the fuel gauge is not part of the gas cap. The fuel gauge presses into the fuel tank, (not threaded). Toro TimeCutter HD MyRide Series MR5400 Zero Turn Rider Model No. 75212, Serial No 401129055. When I separated the plastic float material from the gauge and put it in gas it sank to the bottom. Replaced with one from an old gauge I had laying around and it works perfectly. Sure appreciate that you took the time to try help a brother out though.

Last edited:

Sir Grassley

Forum Newbie
Threads

You are correct! I just found that gauge. Thanks again.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You were correct, the gauge is not part of the cap, sorry for misleading you. The part I gave you is replaceable, you don’t need to replace the tank. Just pry out the old gauge and insert a new one. Glad you were able to repair yours.

TerryJGuidry

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had the same problem that seems to be fairly common with several mower owners, the float would not float in gasoline. I did however try it in water and it floated just fine. The float on my fuel gauge is made of a solid material but apparently not of the proper weight for the specific gravity of gasoline. As a remedy, I drilled four blind holes, 1/4” diameter in the bottom on the float parallel to the guide bar slots, approximately 3/4 of the length of the float. It is VERY important that the holes are in the bottom of the float and do not penetrate the sides, center hole, nor top of the float. The holes form “air traps” that allow the float to float. I put it all back together and it floats just fine now. I haven’t yet run the mower on an incline to see what angle would cause the air to “spill” out of the holes but I would think the considering the depth of the holes, the angle would be significantl. Please see below an image of how the float should look. Neither the middle hole nor guide slots need any adjustments. ** I have not illustrated the slit in the middle hole in which the spiral rod twists to move the needle in the gauge.1BF2B7CE-F23C-43B1-AFE5-40E8EB2A9A7C.jpeg

Sir Grassley

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had the same problem that seems to be fairly common with several mower owners, the float would not float in gasoline. I did however try it in water and it floated just fine. The float on my fuel gauge is made of a solid material but apparently not of the proper weight for the specific gravity of gasoline. As a remedy, I drilled four blind holes, 1/4” diameter in the bottom on the float parallel to the guide bar slots, approximately 3/4 of the length of the float. It is VERY important that the holes are in the bottom of the float and do not penetrate the sides, center hole, nor top of the float. The holes form “air traps” that allow the float to float. I put it all back together and it floats just fine now. I haven’t yet run the mower on an incline to see what angle would cause the air to “spill” out of the holes but I would think the considering the depth of the holes, the angle would be significantl. Please see below an image of how the float should look. Neither the middle hole nor guide slots need any adjustments. ** I have not illustrated the slit in the middle hole in which the spiral rod twists to move the needle in the gauge.View attachment 54548

AppyFarm

Forum Newbie
Threads
Same problem here--2019 Toro Timecutter, 54 inch cut. Luckily, I didn't buy it until late 2020 and have a warranty. Looks like you can buy a replacement for around $50, but I'm not going to try to do this one myself. It's going to the dealer, and he'd better not try to charge labor cost. Also, reporting to BBC.