Oil leakage @ bolt holes where deck gearboxes are bolted to the connector tube ..

OzPete

Threads
  • / Oil leakage @ bolt holes where deck gearboxes are bolted to the connector tube ..
Hello all. My first post here.
Fitting three new deck gearboxes to my neighbour's Walker deck. After adding the appropriate amount of 90 gear oil as per the manual, we found the oil is leaking from behind the LOWER bolts that attach the gearboxes to the cast iron connector tubes. That is the 8 screws closest to the top of the deck housing.(see attached pic).
The threaded holes in the gearbox housings are NOT blind holes, they are drilled & tapped all the way thru into the inside of the gearbox.
Can't imagine why Peereless would do that, especially when they clearly configure these versions of their right-angle drive gearboxes just for Walker decks, but there ya go.

So we dismantled, again, cleaned everything up thoroughly, and reassembled with a good quality sealant on the threads of the screws, and put copper washers under the heads of the screws, left it overnight for the sealant to go off, and put the oil back in.
So, cupla weeks later we have definitely slowed the oil leak down, but there is still an oil leak. Slight, but evident, and if left un-checked will eventually empty the oil from the gearboxes.

Any suggestions gentlemen ?
Thanks
Pete

Attachments

• WALKER DECK GEARBOX ASSY_RESIZED_02.jpg
    WALKER DECK GEARBOX ASSY_RESIZED_02.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 9

WalkerMowersNewZealand

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Oil leakage @ bolt holes where deck gearboxes are bolted to the connector tube ..
Hello there, although we are on the other side of the world supplying Walker Mowers in NZ, have you considered contacting your local Walker Dealership and asking if it's a fault?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As for the local Walker distributor is concerned, urinating into the wind would be the appropriate description.
Walker USA have been very helpful
Walker Aust are a joke.
I went to them with a blade problem because the set up on the swing back blades ( designed in NZ AFAIK ) is wrong months ago & all they would do was refer me to the area sales rep who would not know which end of a screwdriver you hold.
The local dealer that my customers bought the mowers from were even worse supplying the wrong blades and the mower itself was not checked properly before delivery
So I can see why you are doing the work yourself.

As for your problem , did you put a slight champher on the end of the holes to provide a good sealing surface.
Other than that Dowerty washers might be the go.

Did you download the parts manual for the deck ?

JoeM(GA)

Threads
Hello all. My first post here.
Fitting three new deck gearboxes to my neighbour's Walker deck. After adding the appropriate amount of 90 gear oil as per the manual, we found the oil is leaking from behind the LOWER bolts that attach the gearboxes to the cast iron connector tubes. That is the 8 screws closest to the top of the deck housing.(see attached pic).
The threaded holes in the gearbox housings are NOT blind holes, they are drilled & tapped all the way thru into the inside of the gearbox.
Can't imagine why Peereless would do that, especially when they clearly configure these versions of their right-angle drive gearboxes just for Walker decks, but there ya go.

So we dismantled, again, cleaned everything up thoroughly, and reassembled with a good quality sealant on the threads of the screws, and put copper washers under the heads of the screws, left it overnight for the sealant to go off, and put the oil back in.
So, cupla weeks later we have definitely slowed the oil leak down, but there is still an oil leak. Slight, but evident, and if left un-checked will eventually empty the oil from the gearboxes.

Any suggestions gentlemen ?
Thanks
Pete

Always check the boxes at the bolt holes closely for cracks, they are prone to failing there, always use new gaskets at both ends of both tubes,
never tighten the bolts between tubes and boxes completely until complete assembly is installed and tighten down to the deck as the surface may not be completely true and flat. this can cause a major strain on the joint