B&S Intek Pro 60 OHV Carb Linkage

youre1m

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

I recently purchased a 2003 Mountfield 625m rideon mower that doesn't start and trying to resurrect it. Its manual choke manual start, Engine number is 122602 0181 E1.

Steps taken so far:

Oil filter and oil change
Fuel drained, new fuel filter fitted & inline fuel tap on hose, new fuel added
New choke cable (old one had snapped)
New air filter
Checked and cleaned spark plug

So after the above, it started briefly on occasion for about 1 second and then died. Next step was then:
Stripped and cleaned carb, new fuel bowl gasket

I've reinstalled the carb but not getting any sign of life from the mower. Unfortunately I removed it with the air filter housing in place so don't have a photo of the linkage above it before I removed it and I think I've got something wrong hence the carb isn't opening. I've taken some photos to show the issue hoping someone can help:

Photo 1, current state of carb linkage from above:
20190905_084719.jpg

Photo 2, where should this spring be connected to?
20190905_084728.jpg

Photo 3, there is currently nothing connected to what I believe is called the choke plate
20190905_084736.jpg

Photo 4, this part seems like it should be controlling the choke plate but not sure how
20190905_084808.jpg

Photo 5, this would seem a likely setup for the choke plate but as soon as I let go it all springs apart again, and even with the air filter housing in place it still springs apart
20190905_092754.jpg

I guess I have a couple of issues.
1. The choke plate is not getting moved by anything, presumably this should be done by the choke cable but as per pic 5 I don't know how.
2. The spring in photo 2 needs to be connected to something.

Any guidance greatly appreciated.
Matt

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
From the pictures it looks like everything is hooked up correctly. The one spring that you reference is the governored idle spring which controls idle speed. the other spring gets pulled when you open the throttle. You are missing the choke return spring item 217 in this link

https://www.partstree.com/models/12...ton-vertical-engine/carburetor-fuel-supply-3/

which connect from the tiny notch on the left side of the choke lever and hooks to a point back toward the engine side of the carb which I can't see the connection point in your picture.

youre1m

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok thanks for the reply. I managed to get the chocke cable moving the choke plate, does the below now look better? Picture 1 is with choke at stop position, picture 2 is fully open:

20190905_132543.jpg

20190905_132553.jpg

Also, with regards to the missing choke spring I have ordered one. Should that prevent the engine from firing tough?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Spray some starting fluid, parts cleaner, or even a bit of gas down the carb.
Start it and see if it fires. If does it's still a carb problem.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The tab that closes the choke should still be in the open circle part of the choke shaft when the choke is in the closed position otherwise the return spring will reopen the choke when the closing tab comes out of the open circle. And like somebody else posted but a little gas into the intake and see if it starts and runs or start and dies. Start and run would lead to choke issue. Start and die would be a carb issue.

youre1m

Forum Newbie
Threads
I out 10ml of gas down the spark plug hole last night, refitted and tried to start, nothing. I also took loosened the fuel bowl to check fuel was getting in there and it is. Feeling a bit out of my depth and wishing I'd never taken the thing apart!
:frown:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
They can be really frustrating at times.
Without the return spring on the choke.
The instant the engine starts to run, the air rushing in closes the choke & chokes the engine off.

As for pouring the fuel down the carb, that is always a problem because too much will cause raw liquid fuel to be deposited on the spark plug.
Once wetted like this the plug is effectively dead because the fuel leaves a residue on the electrodes that is conductive at compression pressures.
Thus out of the engine you will see a nice fat spark.
Inside the engine the spark runs down the center electrode and cam not ignite the engine

youre1m

Forum Newbie
Threads
Time to pay someone who knows what they are doing me thinks. Got a house to renovate but this thing was too much of a bargain to resist, had a go, need to move on to jobs I can do and let someone else sort this thing out. Thanks all.