MTD Yard Machines - Reverse, but no forward

lxjenkins

Forum Newbie
Threads
Recently change the lower drive belt on my MTD Yard Machines (13AN601H729). When I attempted to operate the mower, reverse works fine; however, forward won't engage unless I hold shift lever forward (see photos). I'm not entirely clear as to what I should be fixing as the difference between forward and no forward is merely some pressure to the shift lever.

No Forward.jpg
Forward does not work

Forward.jpg
Forward works

MowLife

Threads
Both upper and lower belt should be replaced at the same time with the OEM belts. If one belt it worn more than the other then you get problems like that.

lxjenkins

Forum Newbie
Threads
Both upper and lower belt should be replaced at the same time with the OEM belts. If one belt it worn more than the other then you get problems like that.

I replaced both with OEM belts. Any other thoughts?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The forward & reverse is done with a sliding dog gear the shifts left right
In the following IPL it is shaft numbered # 32.
The shaft is moved by the shift lever # 4 which is supposed to transpose a front-back movement to a left -right movement.
If the spring # 26 is dislodged or missing the shift lever can not move the shift shaft far enough to move # 32 far enough to engage the F=R dog.
https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/manufacturer/bolens/yard-machines/13-lawn-tractors/2006-models/13an601h729-2006/drive