V-twin Briggs

73dotson

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 24 HP v-twin is almost dead on one side, it has plenty of fire so my guess is fuel problem, I put a fuel pump on it and it started right up but it is really weak on the one side that the fuel pump works off of and it dieseled as we used to call it when I was working on the older cars, or ran backwards would this have possibly bent a push rod, Thanks Bill.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
pull the valve cover off & have a look, if ok do a compression test both sides & let us know how it goes.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have good spark, I’m betting a blown head gasket.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Pushrod problem likely.

Take a look under the valve cover.

73dotson

Forum Newbie
Threads
pull the valve cover off & have a look, if ok do a compression test both sides & let us know how it goes.

I pulled the valve cover and the push rods were not bent so I adjusted the valves and didn't help, Checked the compression and good cylinder had 150 lbs bad cylinder had 145 lbs.

73dotson

Forum Newbie
Threads
If it was the head gasket I wouldn't think it would have the 145 lbs compression but I may be wrong.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
With the covers off, rotate the engine by hand and watch the rocker arms, make sure that when they move, they travel the same distance as the others, for a while, these engines has some cams that would develop bad cam lobes.