Sucking oil into air cleaner B&G 10.5 I/C

snowslider

Forum Newbie
Threads
In a previous thread I wrote about gasoline shooting out of the air cleaner like a geyser, now fixed.

The engine will now run for about 30-60 seconds before dying. It smokes like crazy and there is oil in the air filter housing.
I figure the valve guides are shot.

At this point I'm thinking either total rebuild or new engine. Attached is a pic of the engine specs. Recommendations?

Attachments

• Outback_Engine.jpg
    Outback_Engine.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 10

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the oil level
Chances are it will be 1/2 way up the dip stick and smell like fuel, because the fuel has leaked down past the piston from that stuck float valve.
Drain the oil , refill with nice fresh oil and see how it goes.
That mower has around 2 quarts of oil ( 1.8 L )

snowslider

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good catch. It is half way up the stick, and does smell like gas.

However the drain plug at the base of the stick housing won't budge. It looks like somebody used red thread lock on it. Why would anyone do such a thing?
Time to get out the heat gun I guess.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

However the drain plug at the base of the stick housing won't budge. It looks like somebody used red thread lock on it. What would anyone do such a thing?

because the one remaining left brain cell was having problems communicating with the one functioning right brain cell

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
because the one remaining left brain cell was having problems communicating with the one functioning right brain cell

Hey! I do alright considering...:laughing:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads

However the drain plug at the base of the stick housing won't budge. It looks like somebody used red thread lock on it. Why would anyone do such a thing?

I don't mess with drain plugs any more. I got a 12v pump from TSC a few months ago and now suck it out through the fill tube. You'll need to be a few feet of tubing, that fits on the in & out ports of the pump. And some alligator clips to hook it to the batter.