troy bilt riding mower

madmacs

Forum Newbie
Threads
My troy bilt riding mower starts then shuts down . I checked spark at plug and it was good. I checked gas at carb and it flowed good . I did not go any further because I don't have a book. and I thought I might brake the gasket. Is there a fuse or selnoid on the carb? Thanks for any help , latestart

Ckn087

Threads
Need more info on mower. What is the engine model number? Usually found on valve cover. If it starts and shuts off I doubt the solenoid is to blame as I've only saw them stick shut mostly but sometimes all the way open. If there are wires coming from float bowl, then it does have one. I'd look more into the carb if you had a good steady flow of fuel out of the fuel filter. The passages are probably plugged some. And when you disassemble a carb, it's usually good practice to install a carb rebuild kit in them. Especially the float o ring etc.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Is this the first time starting the mower, has it sat for awhile? or have you been using it this summer?
Some carburetors have a solenoid on them that when power to it is cut (you turn the key off) it closes off the main jet preventing backfire by means of a plunger.
Like ckn087 stated we need a some more info on the mower, specifically the Engine.:thumbsup:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
fresh air filter, fresh gas, good spark, good compression are needed for engine to run. remove gas cap & check vent at center of cap for being stopped up.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Finally water in the bottom of the float bowl will do exactly this.
As soon as you get heavy suction it draws the water up and the engine stops dead.
Despite all of the You tube videos, you can not run a petrol engine on water.