Craftsman LT2000 Won't Stay Started Even After New Carb

Twitchie

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman LT2000 Won't Stay Started Even After New Carb
I bought a used Craftsman LT2000. It worked the day i bought it. The first time I go to use it, it won't start. The guy I bought it from said sometimes the carburetor sticks and is probably time for a new one. Lovely. So I buy one and install it (thank you YouTube!). After everything was reassembled, it started right up, but ran really fast. I lowered the throttle and it stayed almost the same. When I let off the brake, it died. Over the next hour or so, I was able to get it started again several times, but it ran really rough and died within seconds, even while having the brake pressed down. I posted a short 9 second video on YouTube so folks could see and hear the engine as it's trying to run here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhMFY1_aGfg. So, any ideas? TIA!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Did you buy a OEM Carb, or a chineseium? usually when the throttle doesn't change the speed, the mechanical governor is incorrectly adjusted.
First, Check to be sure you have good flow going to the carb. (filter not stopped up etc)
This is least likely, but it could be the flywheel key is sheared a bit throwing the ignition timing off.

Twitchie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you buy a OEM Carb, or a chineseium? usually when the throttle doesn't change the speed, the mechanical governor is incorrectly adjusted.
First, Check to be sure you have good flow going to the carb. (filter not stopped up etc)
This is least likely, but it could be the flywheel key is sheared a bit throwing the ignition timing off.

Thanks for your reply! I bought this one off Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TBCX2KZ/. It has an inline filter that came with the mower. I didn't think about replacing that. I was going to go buy a new fuel line, perhaps a new filter wouldn't hurt either?

Ckn087

Threads
If its gravity fed make sure you have one of those red briggs filters on it and not the clear type with paper. They're for fuel pumps. And those Chinese carbs will look perfect but when you go to hook everything up, itll be off a mile sometimes. Usually with with 2 stroke carbs, they will have the throttle linkage all backwards. Does sound a little like a linkage issue. Make sure the choke plate is working correctly too.

Ckn087

Threads
Scrub cadet thanks. I should've added a link!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Getting back to your original post.
If the throttle does not respond to the controls then you hooked it up wrong ot th governor has failed.
The GOVERNOR GOVERNS ie SLOWS things down

The throttle control is hooked up to the governor usually via a spring
The governor is hooked up to the carb usually by a solid rod.

When you try to mow, you put a load on the engine which need to accelerate to produce enough power.
If the governor is working it reacts to the slowing engine & opens up the throttle plate
If that does not happen it is the same as holding your foot on the accelerator on your car and dropping ( rather than letting off ) the clutch.
The engine stops.