Fuel Treatment Advice From Tech OF 21 Years

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
I avoid stabil like a plague. Over time it goes bad & gets sticky..

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
In my opinion, the best fuel treatment you can buy is non-ethanol gasolilne.

Lawn Addict
Threads
:thumbsup:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I try to avoid any fuel treatment product that has an expiration date 2 years after opening the bottle. How does a product protect gas for two years when the product itself expires 2 years after opening.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Never used stabil, Definitely won't now!!
Only thing I put on my fuel occasionally is B12 chemtool, usually if the riding mower, or my Mule starts idling rough, I run some of that through the tank and 99.99% it clears it up.

TonyPrin

Threads
By and large ethanol is not a problem if you use it in less than 60 days. I fill my container with a few gallons at a time and almost always use it quickly between the mowers, blowers, and trimmers. If I have some left when I'm ready to buy more, I put the leftover in a vehicle.

deminin

Threads
By and large ethanol is not a problem if you use it in less than 60 days. I fill my container with a few gallons at a time and almost always use it quickly between the mowers, blowers, and trimmers. If I have some left when I'm ready to buy more, I put the leftover in a vehicle.

Same here. I use regular gas in my mowers, but replenish the gas cans about once a month. I use premium unleaded in all my Stihl equipment....chainsaws, trimmers, blower....but again, I usually refill the gas cans about every 4 to 6 weeks, I have a 6500 watt generator in case we lose power, and run it for about 15 minutes every month to keep it ready to go, but I usually don't keep more than a gallon of gas in it, so that its gas doesn't go stale if I don't need the generator for an extended period of time. I do add some carb cleaner to the gas before the last mowing of the season, so that helps reduce any buildup in the carbs....I even run them for a few minutes during the Winter so they are ready to go the next Spring. Gas has a "shelf life", and I would be leery of using any that had sat around for more than a couple of months.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is really a crapp shoot.
It will come down to the micro climate where you live, where you store the mower, how long you run it for & the actual blend that comes out of the bowser you use.
As such making any recommendment other than always use fresh fuel & don't buy any more than you need is pointless.
My workshop is 450 yards from the landlords workshop.
Fuel down here will stay good for around 3 to 6 months .
Up at his it will go off in 2 weeks.'Same fuel from the same servo stored in the same sceptor containers.