Is it worth saving?

Atlsud

Forum Newbie
Threads
I picked up a 4 cycle backpack blower with no compression thinking it was a stuck valve. Turns out the head is cracked where it attaches to the block. Is this project worth saving?

Ckn087

Threads
Is it just the head that's cracked? Or is it the block also? If it were me and it was just the head, I'd probably find a used head off ebay or something and fix it. Just make sure the valves are ok. Some used heads off ebay come with valves but you gotta watch some of them as they are worn and need lapping. What kind of blower is it?

Atlsud

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the response. The fasteners has some sort of thread lock so it was near impossible to disassemble. It was a cheap Toro so I just saved the blower arm assembly with the coil, the carburetor and the gas tank. Everything else went in the trash.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
"just a cheap Toro". Now there's a term we thought we'd never hear way back when. Times do change, not for the better in this case.

Ckn087

Threads
Oh I know how hard those can be to take apart. I work on so many things that are just terribly designed. So you basically saved everything but the motor?

Atlsud

Forum Newbie
Threads
No, I tossed the blower housing and backpack as well.

Ckn087

Threads
Oh I gotcha. Well I'm sure what you did keep is worth saving. You might run into another one that needs those parts you saved.