Lawn mower will not turnover

SASLawns

Forum Newbie
Threads
The past few starts of my lawn mower required a little starter fluid. However, now starter fluid won't even get the motor to pop. I have changed and gaped the spark plug, still no turning over.

I thought possibly bad gas, but I would think starter fluid would get it to pop at least once. I should probably clean the carb, as I have not done so in three seasons, but there as well, I would think the motor would kick over at least a couple times.

Any thoughts before I start replacing parts? Thanks.

My mower:
MTD 11A-02BT706
Briggs & Stratton 300E Series 125cc

Romore

Threads
So it is turning over but won't fire? Have you hit anything with the blade? Check it for damage, maybe the flywheel key is sheared.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Start by checking that you actually have a spark
Follow that by checking the timing key is intact.
next trick is to check the valve lash
Followed by cleaning the carb , checking that the choke actually closes

SASLawns

Forum Newbie
Threads
So it is turning over but won't fire? Have you hit anything with the blade? Check it for damage, maybe the flywheel key is sheared.
Pardon for my use of the word 'turnover'. It's a manual pull and I can pull it, so it's turning, but not firing.

SASLawns

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the response...
Start by checking that you actually have a spark
Assuming this is a simple remove of the spark plug and ground it, then check for spark on a turn.

Follow that by checking the timing key is intact.
This is also the flywheel key? Where is this located? Am I checking to see if it's broke/cracked?

next trick is to check the valve lash
If I notice the value is stuck open, once I un-stick it, would it be wise to clean and/or replace? I'm not a mechanical guy...is this type of operation pretty straight forward?

Followed by cleaning the carb , checking that the choke actually closes
Other than cleaning, how may I check if the choke closes properly?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Thanks for the response...

Assuming this is a simple remove of the spark plug and ground it, then check for spark on a turn.

This is also the flywheel key? Where is this located? Am I checking to see if it's broke/cracked?

?

The fly wheel key is located under the pull rope, take every thing off until you get to the flywheel, take the nut off (if it's tough to get off, put a clean rope in the spark plug hole to jam the motor and you can remove the nut)
After you get the nut off you should see the flywheel key way, it should make a perfect square, even it's sheared a little bit, that can throw timing off.

SASLawns

Forum Newbie
Threads
The fly wheel key is located under the pull rope, take every thing off until you get to the flywheel, take the nut off (if it's tough to get off, put a clean rope in the spark plug hole to jam the motor and you can remove the nut)
After you get the nut off you should see the flywheel key way, it should make a perfect square, even it's sheared a little bit, that can throw timing off.
Thank you, I will check this out and report back.